difference between circuit training and weight training

zaineb

Hi Cathe,
I just join a gym. They have 40 minutes circuit training program. There are different stations (stationary bikes and weight machines). I am doing that 3 times a week. I need to loose 25 pounds. I have MIS tape and I am planning to add that twice a week. Is it ok? I don't understand the difference between circuit training and resistance training? Do I need to do more aerobic activity to lose weight? Thanks
Fouzia Junaid

Hi Fouzia Junaid! This sounds like a great start. Do this for about three to four weeks and then add one additional day of a 30 to 45 minute cardiovasular workout if you feel that you are getting too used to your current workout. After about two months of being on this program, to increase the intensity of your cardio workouts, you can either add time to each workout, add a cardio day to your weekly workout, or add intensity to each workout. To increase the intensity of your weight training workout, you can change the order of the exercises, change the exercises themselves, or increse the weight used for the workouts. Good Luck!

By the way the difference between circuit training and resistance training is that circuit training generally uses lighter weights and goes from a cardio phase to a weight phase in measured cycles of time or a weight phase to another weight phase, again in measured cycles of time. Resistance training is just another word for weight training. I have heard the word resistance training referred to especially when the form of resistance is other than actual weights (example: tubing or bands).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.