Depression and exercise

kimroberts

Cathlete
I've been clinically depressed for several months. Antidepressants are not helping although my doc has switched them around a few times. I'm looking for an article or book that outlines exactly HOW MUCH and at WHAT INTENSITY you should exercise to see noticeable improvements in depression.

I currently teach 3 step classes and 2 pilates classes every week. In addition, I walk 2-3 days and strength train about 4 days. This isn't helping either. I'm hoping to find that a different intensity or combination of exercises would benefit me more.

Thanks to anyone who answers.

Hi Kim,

I can relate to your situation. I was clinically depressed and taking Zoloft until a few months ago. I do remember an article in Health about this but their study found that 30 minutes of jogging or walking 3x a week made a difference. Here is a link to the article: http://www.health.com/cgi-bin/current/wellness/wellness_week.cgi?290

I can't back up anything I say with scientific evidence, but I will also tell you what has worked for me. I find that if I do heavy weight work more than 2-3x a week for 45 min at a time, I start feeling depressed and sickly (possibly due to overtraining?). I do cardio (usually step/floor aerobics/kickboxing) for 45 min - 1 hour at high intensity (perceived exertion of 8) probably about 4-5x a week. Much more than that and I start overtraining/feeling depressed too. I don't think that you have to exercise at a high intensity all the time though, to reap the psychological benefits of exercise. I limit the exercise to 6-7 total hours a week. It may seem like a lot to some people's standards but if I do much less I start feeling sluggish; much more and I feel worn down and depressed. I have also started doing Yoga a couple of times a week for 20-30 minutes at a time, and it helps my emotional state to incorporate that type of exercise, too, maybe because it has more of a spiritual orientation. I have been able to wean off of antidepressants with that type of exercise regime, and another very important factor in controlling depression is getting plenty of sleep. I absolutely need 7.5 hours of sleep at least per night or else I start entering that cycle of depression again.

Good luck to you.
Holly

Kim, I do not have the answer right now, although I will look--and perhaps ask (one of my bosses studies the epidemiology of depression in certain groups)-- around. Now I just want to send you my support. I remember how great you were at a replying to my conintuous forearm training questions. (I do them some, but not as much as I should.) Hoping to have some info later, Jeanne.

Kim,

I'm sorry to hear that you're down. This can be an especially tough time of year...cold, shorter days, holidays, etc..

I suffer from clinical depression too. I went through much of the same thing that you are now going through. My doctor prescribed antidepressants, and after the second try, I decided to forgo the medication. I don't know if that was the best decision, but I was weary of the trial and tribulation aspect.

I agree with Holly about getting enough sleep. Nothing brings on depression as fast as lack of sleep...the world seems so bleak when you're exhausted.

Exercise is my salvation. When I become inconsistent with my workouts, it's just a matter of time that the dark cloud moves in. I need fairly intense physical work to keep my spirits in check. Getting outside and taking in some fresh air is also a tremendous help. I love to run...to me it's meditation in motion. If you're able, get outdoors, take a brisk walk, run, ski...find something that you can enjoy doing outside.

You might want to check out some books on the subject of depression (if you haven't already). It's always a bit of a consolation to find that there are lots of famous and not so famous people that have battled this disease. Mike Wallace has been very candid about his experiences as a depressive, and Winston Churchill wrote about his depression, calling it "the black dog".

I hope that you are feeling better soon!

Running helps me. You have to really challenge yourself, not hold back, and PUSH. When you get into that "runners high" zone all the endorphins feel great. I've noticed a similar effect from advanced spin classes (90 minute classes).
(BTW, if you happen to intake a lot of aspartame, consider cutting it out. That helped me tremendously too. They are finding lots of links to that particular sweetener and brain chemical imbalances)
Best of luck, I know what a battle this is. And you still manage to get out there and work out, that's great. Shows how strong your willpower must be.

Kristina

I had not heard of the asparatime connection. Every morning I have two large cups of coffee before I do much of anything. BOTH cups have 4 sweetners in them, total 8.

Then on my way to the gym about an hour later, I stop at a convenience store and get either a 32-ounce or a 44-ounce diet coke from the fountain. Sometimes later in the day I'll have another one.

Then I keep a gallon of iced tea made and it is sweetened with sweet n' low.

That's a lot of artificial sweetner, now that I've sat and thought about it.

Do you know where I can find an article about artificial sweetners and depression?

Thanks for the info. Enlightening!

RE: aspartame

www.tetrahedron.org/articles/health_risks/Aspartame_Modern_Thalidomide.html

This is just one article...take it for what it's worth. I know a few people personally who were diagnosed with aspartame-related problems including advanced PMS syndrome, and in one case, my friends' grandma had a brain tumor which was made up entirely of the byproducts of aspartame breakdown in the body (one of which, believe it or not,is formaldehyde.) The manufacturer settled her lawsuit under a confidentiality agreement. Lots of people have withdrawals similar to nicotine addiction when they quit, (moody, headaches, irritability) so be prepared to feel worse before you feel better.

I can only tell you this: I too love aspartame, and even now, occasionally use it 'cuz I love diet soda. I am supposed to be using Stevia (a herbal sweetener). But I had about the same daily intake as you before my allergist got me off it. It really did seem to help me. Now of course, my internist doesn't know diddly about aspartame, and was interested when I told him my experience. So basically I am saying that not everyone agrees with this opinion, but lets face it, the FDA and the diet industry don't have a track record of being up front. And for me, it was not healthful and I noticed a difference when I got it out of my system. THis will take about 4-6 weeks of total abstention.

:)

Kim, I have access to an online medical library. I searched "medline" and "psych info" using three keywords: "depression," "treatment,and "exercise".

Only 3 records resulted from this search, and none of them dealt specifically with duration or intensity of exercise as a treatment. I saved the search results as a text file and will email it to you separately.

If you continue to be interested in this topic, I would suggest you search sports journals. I do not have access to those kinds. Perhaps your doctor can get access. Or I think there may be something at the Library of Congress on online.

Sorry to not be able to provide you with a helpful answer.
Jeanne
The categories covered in Medline include anatomy, organisms, diseases, chemicals and drugs, techniques and equipment, psychiatry and psychology, biological sciences, physical sciences, social sciences and education, technology, agriculture, food, industry, humanities, information science and communications, and health care.

PsycINFO contains citations and summaries of journal articles, book chapters, books, and technical reports, as well as citations to dissertations, all in the field of psychology and psychological aspects of related disciplines, such as medicine, psychiatry, nursing, sociology, education, pharmacology, physiology, linguistics, anthropology, business, and law.

RE: exercise and depression

Hi, Kim, there's a wealth of information on the web regarding exercise and depression. I suffer myself. Initially I took Paxil and tried another form of anti-depressant but their side effects were as bad as the depression so it's exercise for me as well. I think, as with many things, it is variable among individuals how much to do. Daily exercise in some form or another is great but you need to see what works for you. I do both intense and moderate forms. I find cardio is most effective for depression and try to do some 5 days per week. Running is my favorite anti-depressant and I do at least 4 miles every other day or so. Just hang in there and keep searching for the right formula for you. I'll be thinking of you!!

Bobbi

Thank you all for responding. I've got a ton of stuff to read now as a result of you folks and folks on another board. Maybe I'll learn more about myself than I really want to know!!?!?!??

Thanks,
Kim

Kim, there's really nothing I can add to the above great answers, but wanted to also convey my solidarity to you! I have suffered from clinical depression off & on since adolescence. The only things which have truly helped me were a combination of anti-depressants which also address my severe insomnia problem, exercise, and deep breathing. When things get really bad, & I feel like I could slip back into the abyss, deep breathing helps immediately, and regular exercise in the long run.
I've read the stuff about aspertame too, & I think there has to be something to it from all the evidence.
Good luck with your efforts, & know that we are all with you.
Ruth

p.s.
Age helps too. I know that sounds ridiculous, & isn't much help to you right now, but the older I get the more I am able to control it. Hope for the future?
R.
:)

I get what you're saying. I had a severe episode when I turned 39, by the time I hit 40 I had gotten over it. HOWEVER...I will be 48 this month so am getting close to the next problem area!

Truly though, most of my control has been learned & gained in the last 4 to 5 years.

Hang in there, it's worth the struggle.

Depression was a struggle for me for years until about 4 months ago. I went to a medical doctor that also practices alternative medicine. He tested me for food sensitivies which are not the same as food allergies. Food sensitivies can show up anywhere from an hour to a few days after you eat an offending food. That's why a blood test is so important because it's so hard to figure out which food it was. I had 24 food sensitivies and as soon as i took them out of my diet ,I felt like a new person. I had so much more energy. I wasn't irritable, my pms went away and so did my depression. I also had candida(yeast) that is also known to cause depression. There is clearly a link between the foods we eat and how we feel. My doctor gave me some herbs and medicine to kill the yeast and acidophilus which puts the good bacteria back in my body. Depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the body,and my Doctor said his job was to find what was causing the imbalance to begin with. In my case it was yeast and food sensitivies. A lot of conventional doctors just prescribe drugs and never get to the root of the problem. I hope this helped you, because depression is not a fun way to live,I know. Yoga also helps me to destress and teaches me to live in the moment. I hope your feeling better soon.P.S. Alternative medicine is becoming very popular these days so it should be pretty easy to find a doctor if your interested.

RE: depression and caffeine?

Hi, Kim and all others! Say, Kim, I'll be the first to state I know next to nothing about clinical depression. But I wanted to ask if there might be some benefit to you not only in cutting down on the amount of aspartame that you're consuming, but also the amount of caffeine you're consuming?

In an earlier post you listed that you have about 2 large cups of coffee, a 22-oz. Diet Coke, and then iced-tea throughout the day. That seems like a lot of caffeine, which can produce a temporary energy rush but then a crash, especially if it manages to collide with any other carbohydrates, whether they're sugar or not. Maybe cutting back on your caffeine intake might help alleviate some of your symptoms a bit.

Just a thought.

Annette

Hi, Kim and all others! Say, Kim, I'll be the first to state I know next to nothing about clinical depression. But I wanted to ask if there might be some benefit to you not only in cutting down on the amount of aspartame that you're consuming, but also the amount of caffeine you're consuming?

In an earlier post you listed that you have about 2 large cups of coffee, a 22-oz. Diet Coke, and then iced-tea throughout the day. That seems like a lot of caffeine, which can produce a temporary energy rush but then a crash, especially if it manages to collide with any other carbohydrates, whether they're sugar or not. Maybe cutting back on your caffeine intake might help alleviate some of your symptoms a bit.

Just a thought.

Annette

I'm sure I could cut down on the caffeine, but I don't drink as much as it sounds like. The coffee and tea I have are decaffeinated. There is one store in town that sells caffeine-free diet coke in their fountain. A few of the diet cokes I get come from there, but most are the regular caffeinated ones.

That's one of my resolutions for the new year, is to cut down my diet coke intake dramatically!!!!

I use supplements and exercise to deal with depression that I was diagnosed with in 1996 that "comes and goes" (I live in Chicago and it's jut cold and gray, mostly, from November to March). I cut out ALL my allergy medication for preparation of pregnancy and found that that was part of my problem (I was taking five drugs - prescribed- all of which has depression as at least on side effect). But in my study of supplements (you'll all find I truly believe in them and using a great company), here's what I found out about B vitamins. Very necessary in a COMPLEX for to women. Are depleted by stress (which depression can cause), refined sugars (candy, pop, would be some), CAFFEINE, Alcohol, white-flour carbs. Eating these things often results from stress (depleting more B vitamins) so we eat more, etc. and most of these things bring B vitamins with them = now we're running a deficit. I stay away from caffeine as much as possible (I'm a Swede - we love our coffee). I think your diet may key as well. I have information that I've read and listened to from a woman who has her master's degree in Food Science from Cornell University. If you'd like more info. let me know.

Best regards...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.