DEEP TISSUE MASSAGE DANGEROUS?

J

JULIER

I was wondering if Cathe or anyone knew if deep tissue massage could possibly be "too deep" and cause damage?

To answer your question directly, no I don't know for sure. But I'm sure that when anything is worked in an extremely intense manner that there is always a small risk factor involved.

My experience: I have had friction massages in the past to break up scar tissue. They were soooo painful that my eyes would tear up:'(. As awful as they felt at the time of the procedure I was always amazed that the next day I would be fine.

Julie, I am by no means an expert, however, I am very into alternative therapies for wellness. I have never heard of any danger involved in massage. As Cathe said, you may experiece discomfort but, ultimately, the results are positive.

Thanks for the input. I had read an article on one of the health websites that said someone had some bleeding in the liver attributable to overly deep massage. I was wondering if that could really happen. Thanks Cathe and Bobbi.

Yikes! That sounds awful. It goes without saying that finding a practitioner who knows what he or she is doing is very important. I am sure there are resources to enable you to find an experienced massage therapist who wouldn't massage too deeply!Good luck!

I thought I would let you know what happen to a friend of mine. About 2 months ago she went in for a massage. Well I guess the guy was digging his elbow into her neck area, she had a stroke right there. If it was cause by the massage I am not sure but the doctors at the hospital said it was. I think he hit a nerve or something. Kind of makes me not want to get a massage!!!
Judyr

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.