deadlifts revisited

N

nancysathrevogel

Thanks for answering my question about deadlifts. I tried doing them off the end of my step like you suggested, but now my question is - aren't I supposed to keep the barbell close to my legs? In order to go down till I feel the weight in my hamstrings, I had to go all the way down over the edge of the step to the ground. That means that I had to go out over my shoes. It wasn't a problem the one time I tried it, but will that hurt my back over time? I don't want to end up with a back problem from trying to work my hams!!!!!

deadlifts

Wow, you are VERY flexible. How high was your step when you lowered yourself to the ground?

I really don't recommend having your hands go down any further than just past your toes. Beyond this can compromise your form and possibly over stress supporting muscles/ligaments/joints.

Also, to keep yourself from going out OVER the top of your shoes, put a slight part between your feet so that your hands go right between your feet. Its also very important that you do not lock out your legs. Keep a slight bend in your knees.

But if you are really needing to go WAY down beyond your toes then I would rather see you do another hamstring exercise as a substitute.

Happy (and safe) lifting
happy.gif
!

Thanks Cathe!!!

I had my step on the 8 inch level and went down so the weights were just barely touching the floor. I think it might work if I just separate my legs and put my hands right between my feet. I'll try it next time...

If this doesn't work, what exercises could I substitute??

Thanks again!!!

Deadlifts

What would be the benefit doing deadlifts off the edge of the step? My hamstrings are pretty flexible from and I can stretch down & reach the barbell to the floor while standing on the step but I don't see the benefit in the move. Is it to get more range of motion in your hamstrings? Wouldn't there be a risk of overstretching your lower back?

Thanks for any info on this.

Loretta

a previous message

In a previous post, I had asked Cathe about my form in the deadlifts. I use a very heavy weight and go all the way down to my ankles before I even BEGIN to feel it pull in my hamstrings. If I keep to the range of motion she demonstrates in her videos, I don't even begin to feel it in my hams. I asked her what I was doing wrong, and she responded that I must just be very flexible, and suggested that I do the deadlifts off the end of the step so I can get a bit lower. My concern, also, is overstretching my back. That's why I wrote again to question the wisdom of going all the way down. So - if you feel the pull in your hamstrings when you do it normally, just ignore all this banter!!!!

Deadlifts

I don't feel pull in my hamstrings when I do deadlifts no matter how far I go down, but I do feel like my hamstrings worked the next day. I'm going to stick with the range of motion the Cathe uses, because I don't want to risk overstretching my back.

Loretta

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.