Deadlifts in Leaner Legs

D

debmac

Hi Cathe--
This morning, Leaner Legs pretty near killed me--except for the deadlifts. I am used to using a much heavier barbell for deadlifts, so the 35lbs felt kinda light.....but for the rest of the video, 35 lbs felt plenty heavy enough, that is for sure! Maybe I should keep my second barbell loaded heavy, ready and waiting for each deadlift segment?

Also, I tend to feel deadlifts more if I keep the movement quite low....I feel it best when I keep the barbell in the ankles-to-below-the-knees-range. When I bring the barbell higher than my knees, I stop feeling my hamstrings working. Is this normal? Is it okay to do the deadlifts low, and not come up to an upright position in between reps as you do in the video?

Thanks for any help!
Debbie

Hi Debbie!

If you have an extra barbell and strong hamstrings, I think keeping a heavier barbell loaded for your deadlifts is an excellent idea.

Also, everyones range of motion is different. Therefore, you may find that you need to go a little deeper(lower)to really fire those hamstring muscles. So yes, going below the knees is okay but don't lock out your joints. Keep a small amount of flexion in your knees.

But as far as not coming to an upright position is concerned, I do not recommend this because you will not be working your muscles in full range of motion. (Note: You do not have to come to a fully upright position but rather just shy of it). You can actually decrease your flexibility overtime by not working your muscles in their full range of motion. So squeeze those glutes, tighten your low back, flex your lats, and pull that weight up
wink.gif
!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.