Deadlifts

Mar

Cathlete
Hi Cathe, I am working hard on perfecting deadlifts. I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I'll ask it anyway. When you are descending with your upper body and the barbell, do you descend with the weight of your whole upper body or just the barbell - same with coming back up. I seem to feel the exercise more in my lower back than in the legs.

BTW - loved that article by Art Carey. Way to go!

Mar:)

Hi Mar! It is an exercise both for lower back and hamstrings so it is normal to feel it in the lower back. The forward hinge motion during the deadlift has your entire torso from the hip to the head hinging forward in neutral alignment along with the weight of the barbell. Do not let the shoulders round forward as you hinge forward. Again, you will definitely be feeling this in the low back. I suggest staying light with your weight until you have mastered the technique. Hope this helps!

Mar,
Ever see one of those "drinking bird" toys that tips forward and dips it's "beak" into a glass of water, then comes back up? THat's what I think of when doing deadlifts: keeping the upper body still (with scapular retraction and keeping the normal curve in you lower back) on the way forward and on the way back.

KAthyrn - That makes alot of sense. I really think that will help with my form.

Thanks and happy Spring!

Mar

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.