CSX: Plank adjustment for wrists and shrugs questions

JudySP

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!

The 6 pack is great! Unfortunately I haven't been able to do as much of the cardio sections as I'd like because I'm in training to run my first 5K in two weeks and I'm trying to watch the amount of impact my knees are subjected to (I still can't believe I'm running!). Of course, I blew off all caution last night and just had to do All Step even though I had run for 30 minutes in the morning! So far, I really love the one body part per day format. It's so easy to fit it in and very hard to come up with reasons not to do it since it's at most ½ hour (I have to stop myself from doing too much cardio - strength, well, as Daphne says, strength is my veggies).

But now to my questions: I did the abs section of CSX Kickbox and while my abs/core were fine during the plank work, my wrists were not. (I've printed out the wrist strengthening exercises you posted) Eventually, I had to come down to the plank position where my forearms were on the floor, palms down although I was still on my toes. I think I prefer to do the plank work this way but how can I make it harder? If I'm on my arms, I don't have "clearance" to bring my knee towards my face like you do. Could I lift one leg up and hold it straight out to increase the work in my core? Based on a suggestion at VF, I was also thinking of trying to do the plank in the same position as you but using dumbbells as a substitute for push-up handlebars - same as I use for push-ups. Do you think that might work?

The second question I have is with the shoulder shrug work in All Step when you are bent at a 45 degree angle. You use heavy weights - are you trying to bulk up the trapezius (I think that's the muscle that's being worked) or is the pace fast enough that you won't? The reason I ask is that it seemed to be different to what you said in PS CS&T (my fave PS tape - I do like tricep work) - about not creating a bulky appearance there and therefore suggesting that we use light weights. I guess that's my way of saying I'm a little confused. I don't want a bulky trapezius development so what weights should I use in CSX?

Looking forward to seeing you in October (at this point I'll be behind the camera),
Judy

Good luck Judy

Hi Judy,
I hope you enjoy your first 5K. I remember what a thrill it was when I finished my first 5K.
Good luck in the race.
Lisa

Hi Judy!

Glad you are enjoying the tapes.

For plank work, you can do the exercises down on your forearms. Don't underestimate the strength required to maintain this pose on your toes. This is quite an advanced exercise as is. But sure, if you would like to add variation to this you can try doing the other version on dumbells. Just be VERY careful not to slip out from under those weights. But, if your wrist still bothers you with this straight arm version, stay down on the forearms. Yes, you can also extend one leg in the air in this forearm position for a variation. Be sure that you don't lift the leg any higher than the level of the buttocks so that you don't hyperextend your back.

Generally speaking, yes, continuous training of the trapezius with heavy weight can build up the trap area. As for Lean Legs, the reason that I said to go heavier is because we were just using very light weight(5 pounds or under)with the previous exercise(front raises). Also, these workouts are short duration and faster paced. They focus more on muscle endurance rather than maximum strength gains(which is more of the PS Series focus).

But in any case, the actual weight amount is not the critical issue here(since everyones genetics differ). It is HOW YOUR BODY RESPONDS TO YOUR SELECTED WEIGHT thats truly what is important. So in order to establish what weight you will need for these shrugs, first select a weight that challenges you but is not the absolute heaviest weight that you can handle. That will be your starting point. Now from there you need to monitor your progress. If over time you are pleased with your results in your trap/shoulder area, then keep up with what you have been doing. If you feel that you are starting to bulk in the trap area, then just cut back to a lighter weight during shrugs.

Hope this helps and sorry to have sent mixed messages. Please keep me posted on your progress. See you in October
happy.gif
!

Thanks Lisa

I have to admit that I'm nervous about it but I think it will be a wonderful experience because it's the Central Park Race for the Cure. A very worthy cause and something that has touched friends of mine. One friend's sister died of breast cancer last year and another friend's sister was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. So I'm running in memory of one person and in celebration of another person's survival.

Judy

Thanks Cathe!

I think I'll give doing the other version of the plank with my dumbbells a shot and see how it feels. It's nice to know that the forearm position is still considered advanced when done on your toes - it sure works the core!

Thanks for clarifying the trap work too. I think I'll go for a "medium" weight for me and see what happens over the next 6-8 weeks.

How's that little peanut doing? My grandson hasn't stopped running since he got up on 2 legs and is now talking a blue streak!

Judy (aka "Manmaw")

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.