Crunch Alternatives and such?

Hi Cathe!
I was wondering if you could suggest some alternatives to doing abdominal crunches for ab work. It seems that whenever I do them I strain my neck and back. I pay close attention to my form, but it never fails. I'm talking P-A-I-N in the neck/back area. I'd rather do something else if I can.

Thanks!!
:)Christine

Not Cathe here,
But you can do a lot of ab work standing up!
Anytime you bring your knees above your belly button, you're working your abs.

Twisting from side to side (keep hips stationary) is terrific for the obliques and slimming your waist and hips.

Stand with one leg in front of the other, weight on the back leg, and pull you hips "up" toward your shoulders, and crunch your shoulders down toward your hips - it's like a standing crunch. Then do it again with the other leg in front.

Put your weight on one leg, and with the other, lift that knee to the side up higher than your belly button. Do this in fast repetitions. That will also work obliques.

Simply standing normally, pull your belly button in toward your spine. Do that in fast repetition.

Planks are awesome for the transverse.

You can also do reverse crunches and hip lifts for the "lower" abs.

Hopefully some of this is helpful!

Melimcm,
Thanks so much for the suggestions!! I really appreciate it :) I will try these moves tomorrow, I've been feeling blah since I haven't been able to do anything for my abs!

:)Christine

Get Coremax. there are crunches in there, but plenty of other moves, some with a stability ball that I especially like.

Thanks! I actually have Coremax but it's been awhile since I've used it and forgot there are other moves in there. I will check it out again, thanks for reminding me! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.