Cross-Training Series Form Questions

Pangi2

Hi, Cathe. I love the new cross-training series! I had a couple of questions. In the shoulder workout, you did shoulder shrugs at a 45 degree angle. I'm curious...is this angle more effective at targeting the trapezius muscles than an upright position?
My other question is about deadlifts. I noticed you used them in your back workout and I was wondering exactly what adjustments I should make to target more of my lower back rather than my hamstrings.
I haven't had a chance to do all the tapes yet, but wanted you to know that the Cardio Kicks tape really kicked my butt! (In a good way of course!!)

form pointers

Glad to hear the tapes are "kickin your butt"
happy.gif
!

Yes, the 45 degree angle will put a bit more emphasis on your trapezius muscle. The main intention of the exercise is to give variety to your shoulder workout.

To keep the focus of a deadlift on your back, do them as quarter dead lifts rather than full deadlifts(meaning you go down to the point where your back is fully stretched and then come up). A full deadlift has you go even deeper so that your hamstrings get fully stretched too. Also, while doing a quarter deadlift, focus on keeping that bar close to the body as you descend. The shoulders must remain back too. If you slouch your shoulders as you go down, you will not only have poor form but almost all of the tension with be taken off of the back. Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.