Cross Train Chest Video

amyjohauge

Cathlete
I Just have a quick question regarding the Chest portion of the CTX videos. When I lift the barbell(20lbs)doing the chest press exercises I do not feel the burn in the chest that Cathe says you should feel. I do feel an incredible burn in my arms though. She says to make like a goal post with your arms, which I do, but I can't seem to feel the burn in the chest at all. Any suggestions??? Thanks, Amy Jo :-hmmm :-hmmm

Hi Amy,
Where is the barbell in relation to your chest? I believe it should be mid-chest or right about where the back of your bra strap lines up with your chest. If I find the barbell drift up to high on my chest I also start to feel it more in my arms and shoulders. Also be carefull about how far you come down (use the goal post idea Cathe talks about). Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the mid-chest thing.

I also find that if I put the emphasis on the upper part of the move I engage my chest more. I try and slow down at the end of the move and contract my chest to make sure I'm not using momentum at the top of the move. "Muscle awareness" makes a big difference.
Dawn W

Hi Amy, it's funny you mention that situation about feeling the chest exercises in your arms instead of your chest. I was just discussing this with a friend of mine. I also feel the burn in my arms but rarely in my chest, but the next day my chest is sore but my arms arent so I somehow must be doing something right. Is your chest sore at all the next day??

:) Stacy

Hi Amy Jo!

I agree with Dawn on the positioning. Pay real close attention that the barbell is NOT floating towards your face. Keep it mid chest. Like she said , think of the muscle you are using. I concentrate on pushing my back HARD into the step or bench (you are laying on) and contract your chest muscles real hard as you push your barbell up. Good Luck! I am always thinking I don't feel it much either, but my pec muscles scream more then any other muscle after strength work the following day. Let us know how you do.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)
"If You Get The Chance To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!"

RE: Hi Amy Jo!

This is just a little tip that I do to keep my chest working as mush as possible and not my arms. On the way up think to yourself chest, chest, chest. And I always imagine that I am pushing something with all my might away from me. Well, that 's I have to say. Everyone else has already said the other stuff beautifully:)!

Aimee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.