Cramps

lora-kate

I am sure that I should know the answer to this question but I don't. Whenever I do a stretching routine, yoga, or pilates I always get cramps (i.e. in my feet or calves). Why is that?

Hi!

I posted a question about cramps in my calf a while ago, but I can't find it when I do a search. I often get them, but a few weeks ago, I had one so bad that my husband had to try to massage it out of my calf. I got it when I was stretching out after PS SL&A...right after doing the hamstring work with one leg on the board and the other in the air. I was screaming and crying, that's how bad it was. It would start to go away, and then come right back. My husband is not usually home when I work out, and I wonder what I would've done if he hadn't been there.

Anyway, people to whom I tell this think that I could be dehydrated, and/or lacking in potassium and magnesium. I drink a lot of water during the day, but I workout at night, and several hours go by between my finishing up with my water at work and my exercising. Now, I do try to drink water at night, too, and I am trying to eat potassium rich foods.

Veronica

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-01 AT 00:29AM (Est)[/font][p]Hello lora and everybody. Ok now that I have the time to reply I'm going to add a little bit to the info veronica wrote.

My problem with cramps was at night. I used to wake up in the middle of the night with very painful cramps in my legs and my arms. I always did my warm up and stretches before exercising and I drink water before, during and after exercising so I knew that I wasn't dehydrated or lazy. What my doctor told me after a routine check up was that I needed to eat potassium rich foods because my potassium levels were decreasing with all the sweating I do when I work out and I was losing potassium in my urine too. So I was told to increase my potassium intake to 4,000mg daily. (The actual requirements vary from 2,000mg - 4,000mg daily..Always consult your doctor) My next problem was figuring out which foods were rich in potassium besides bananas and orange juice cause I'm not fond of supplements and I didn't want to get a potassium supplement. So I did a web search and I found what I was looking for. These links were very helpful... http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1740.html and http://members.tripod.com/~Dietman2/potash.html Well I hope you stop getting those nasty cramps soon :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.