Correct Step Height

SRP

Cathlete
Hi - I'd like a professional opinion on this, either from Cathe or another certified trainer, if possible. Can you please tell me your reasons for not going above an 8 inch step?

I currently use a 10-inch for my cardio and IMAX workouts, though I think I may bump IMAX 3 down to 8-inch, due to the impact of jumping off the board. I don't have much trouble, except for an occasional strained Achilles tendon.

I am 5 ft, 4 in, and wonder if there is some sort of a guide based on a person's height. Also, do you think there is risk of injury due to accumulated stress over time from a higher step?

I have checked past postings on this, but I only find a general recommendation not to exceed an 8-inch step.

Thank you!

I have been stepping since the early '90's . When I first began the rule was to place one foot flat on the step and check out the angle behind the knee. The angle should be 90 degrees (a right angle) or more. If the angle is less than 90 degrees, undue stress is being placed on the knee. I am 5'8" and can comfortably step with 3 risers under each side with no discomfort in my knees. It seems like over the years 8" step has become the norm and I don't often see anyone stepping on 3 risers at the gym, I still use them at home for some of my step workouts. I find the extra 2 inches really keeps me cardiovascularly challenged much more so than 8". I figure as long as I keep the angle 'right' and have no knee pain I will continue to step on 3 risers. HTH.

Take Care
Laurie:)

Shannon, I have never, ever seen anyone do a step routine on more than 8 inches. I have done this for such a long time, I would have noticed. Maybe, you can accelerate in other ways.

Marla

Marla - really? The step I bought (Reebok?? - can't remember. It's a black and gray step) actually came that way, with adjustments for 6, 8 and 10 inches. I started on an 8 inch, but figured that since they provided a 10 inch option it was okay. But of course, the reason I posted this is because I very, very rarely see or hear of anyone else doing a 10 inch.

My knee is not bent more than a 90 degree angle when I step up, but sometimes it is hard for me to keep proper form coming down - resulting, I'm sure, in those strained tendons of mine.

But darn! I sure don't want to come down, because you just can't imagine the difference in the cardio! It's really amazing.

Well, if you guys are tall & it doesn't feel strange... I would still be hesitant, myself. I used to use 8 " risers myself, but since Cathe explained you can get good intensity on the 6", I switched over. I do tend to "power" all my steps.

I just want you to know, there is a difference between cardio & weight workouts. My leg presses are done on a 14" & I can do them indefinitely. I would never do cardio on more than 6" though.

Just make sure you're not bending lower than a 90 degree angle. I would imagine that constant strain would be damaging over the long run.

Marla

Back when step aerobics started out, videdos showed people using 6", 8" or 10" (like Kathy Smith's workouts). But the choreography was very simple--up-up, down-down-- and the bpm of the music was slower. I think that as the complexity of choreography increased, it was shown that there is a higher risk of injury at 10". Charlene Prickett and her crew do step at 10", and I can certainly see that it sometimes affects their form (sometimes, they "Groucho walk" instead of standing upright). I've done Firm step workouts on 10".

If you want to increase intensity, rather than increasing the step height (especially at only 5'4"), add some propulsion to moves.

The current recommendation for no higher than 8" evidently comes from somewhere, but I'm not sure if it's ACE or Reebok University, orsome other organization that does research.

You know, Kathryn, you make a lot of sense. Nothing worse than working your routine and all is going well until you step down incorrectly and sprain your ankle. And the higher off the ground you are, the worse the sprain----I now remember this from 10 years ago! thank you for your input---much appreciated.

Kathryn - that does make sense. I do Charlene Prickett and noticed that she does use a 10-inch step. But then, that woman has long legs. I guess I don't really pay enough attention to their form though, when I'm doing her routine, to see what you're talking about. I'll have to watch them closely next time.

Perhaps I'm thinking wrong, but my take is that if I add height instead of propulsion, it would be easier on the joints? I'll admit though, I do have to really concentrate to make sure I get my heel down when I come off a 10-inch step. Strained Achilles tendons often result!

Guidelines for Step Aerobics

Step Reebok Guidelines - Revised, as posted on Gin Miller's website:

Step Participant Level-1 Novice: Someone who hasn't taken part in a regular exercise class for some time.
Platform Height: 4 inches

Step Participant Level-2 Beginner: A regular exerciser who-has never done step training.
Platform Height: up to 6 inches

Step Participant Level-3 Intermediate: A regular step trainer.
Platform Height: up to 8 Inches

Step Participant Level-4 Advanced: A regular and skilled step trainer.
Platform Height: up to 10 Inches

=====
The Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA) Step Height Guidelines, which are the same as Reebok's:
4" Someone who has not participated in a regular exercise program
Up to 6" A regular exerciser who is new to stepping
Up to 8" A regular stepper
Up to 10" A highly skilled and regular stepper

AFAA warns:
Be sure your knee does not flex beyond 90 degrees when being weight.

======
From the American Council on Exercise (ACE) website:
Platform height

Platform height is dependent on the exerciser's level of aerobic fitness, current skill with step training, and degree of knee flexion when the knee is fully loaded while stepping up. Deconditioned individuals should begin on four inches while highly skilled and experienced steppers can use 10 inches. The most common height is eight inches.

Regardless of fitness level or skill, participants should not exercise on a platform height that causes the knee joint to flex deeper than 90 degrees when the knee is fully loaded (when all the body weight is on the leg of the first upward step). Individuals with chronic knee problems should seek their physician's approval to perform step training.

Hi Shannon! I see that the guidelines have already been posted, (thank you Hopturn) so with that information in mind I will just add a bit more detail.

The research found that the risks of raising your step height higher than 8 inches, did not outweigh the benefits (this pertains to cardio step training not weight training (ie:leg presses)).

The average person would most likely experience unnecessary knee, hip, or ankle stress down the road stepping at heights over 8 inches. For this reason it was no longer recommended.

Also, as already mentioned, as the choreography became more complex and the music speeds increased, it was harder for the average step participant to do these step routines safely at higher heights.

This again, reiterates the point of why I encourage everyone to listen to their own body.

If someone is currently using a 10 inch platform, moves with ease and flow through even the most intricate choreography (regardless of faster or slower speeds) and has no history of any knee pain after years of doing this, well then I think this individual reserves the right to decide if 10 inches is a sensible step height for them.

Now in your case Shannon, I agree, I would definitely go down to 8 inches (maybe even 6 if 8 doesn't take away the achilles pain) because you are recognizing signs of stress and strain at a higher step height. I personally struggle with chronic achilles tendonitis and have to work around this injury constantly to prevent flare ups(started early in my teaching days while having a huge weekly class load at a time when the first fitness shoe, the Reebok Princess Walker, was just being launched, and even taught aqua classes in barefeet on a cement pool floor with no aqua shoes yet discovered). I find higher step heights aggravate my achilles tendonitis due to the toeing off action being a greater distance from the floor (any lunge move is simply an all out OUCH during a flare up). IMAX 3 contains a lot of toeing off action so I'm sure you were reading your body's signals to lower your step height.

Hope this helps and take care!

Hi, Cathe -
Thanks so much for the reponse - it helps a lot, as do all the previous postings. Just last weekend I officially moved down to an 8 inch step - the Achilles tendons just weren't cooperating at all anymore.

Hopturn - thanks for the guidelines and for reactivating this thread!

>the
>first fitness shoe, the Reebok Princess Walker

LOl! I'm imagining a pretty pale pink shoe with a ribbon on it...and not much support! Am I in the ballpark?;-)

at a time when the
>first fitness shoe, the Reebok Princess Walker, was just being
>launched, and even taught aqua classes in barefeet on a cement
>pool floor with no aqua shoes yet discovered).

Ah yes, I remember those days. I was just starting college, and taught several aerobics classes a week at the field house. We had a cement floor too. I ended up with ankle tendonitis! It is so fantastic the way the fitness world has come along!:) :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.