Closed captioning for your videos?

Dioscita

Hi Cathe!
I just used the "search" feature and tried to find out whether anyone has already asked my question. Searching all forums in all fields through every day you've had cathe.com going (archived topics included) turned up nothing, so it looks like this might actually be an original question -- which, frankly, *really surprises* me! Anyhow, here you go:

Will you ever (please) begin adding closed captioning to your videos? As a late-deafened fitness-freak I happen to ADORE your workouts BUT *wish like crazy* I had a clue as to how you're cueing (and why y'all are giggling)!! I usually just watch very carefully, read your lips if the camera is close enough, cross my fingers, and hope I'm doing things correctly!

You're not the only one, of course. There are VERY FEW fitness videos out there that include captioning -- Ali MacGraw's "Yoga, Mind & Body" is a standout -- and I thought that since you're *already* a leader and innovator in the fitness video industry, that perhaps you could continue this trend and once again be "cutting edge" (or, at least, a *model* for other video creators)? Also, if you've made a deliberate choice to exclude captioning from your videos, will you tell me why? (The added expense comes to mind ... as does the fact that deafness is considered a "low incidence disability" ...) Even without captioning, I'd still like to thank you for all you do for so many! :)

"deaf" doesn't have to mean "out of shape",
Lisa

Lisa,

I'm not Cathe, but I had to speak up on this issue as a fan with a congenitive 30% hearing loss in both ears.

Bravo for your efforts! I understand there are organizations that will provide closed captioning text for shows free of charge, given enough advance preparation. That said, I hope these efforts never slow the release of a Cathe tape (!).

The only tape I've found with closed captioning is Keli Robert's Abs & More - and this would be especially helpful for hearing-impaired since form is SO important to this workout.

Dawn P.

Hi Lisa! Thank you for your kind words and for your valuable input. I will certainly take your request into consideration when the time comes to do more videos. As always, I cannot make promises but I do make the effort to look into all of the suggestions. Keep up the great work. You are so very right, "deaf" does not mean "out of shape".

RE: CATHE- Some Suggestions

Yes it would be a wonderful thing if we could get captioning to Cathe's videos/DVDs. I use most of Cathe's workouts and sometimes wish I could figure out a specific cue/instruction-especially with NEW workout moves.

Maybe until Cathe can look into captioning, we could get some sort of a printed instruction sheet that identifies all the important points like with the slow and heavy series etc. That way we would be informed and be able to perform the sequences properly rather than trying to guess and doing them incorrectly.

I have profound deafness and cannot hear at all. With luck I can lipread some of Cathe's comments but generally the camera is not presenting a close enough view of Cathe due to the need to have a full view of the exercise/cardio sequence being performed.

However, I believe the way to get captioning on a goodly number of tapes/DVDs out there would be to contact the National Captioning Institute and find out how to get this done. I have noticed that a large number of captioning that is done is provided by the NCI or paid for by sponsors. Im not sure how the process works with movies, special events, and special interest items that are sold (VHS or DVD).

Im sure Cathe will be able to find out information regarding captioning her fitness tapes/DVDs from the NCI. I know it is extremely expensive to caption independently so the best option for distributors and independent producers like Cathe would be to go thru the NCI for information.

Hopefully in the near future it will be widely available as I have heard that by 2006 all new programs on TV have to be captioned so hopefully this will mean the same for the mass market (VHS and DVD).

I apologize for the long winded email above.

I agree!

I don't think there was anything long-winded about your response at all!

I wanted to put in an aside here, closed-captioning is priceless for children learning to read.

My daughter has truly benefitted from "reading" TV! If kids are going to watch TV, at least they can be learning new words and how they are pronounced. I am STILL surprised when my daughter corrects me on pronunciations, enunciations and spellings of big words she's seen on TV - now I know how to spell and say "capybara"!

To those of you with 5-6yr old kids, try it - turn on captioning and ask them to read ahead - you'll be amazed. It's even funny when they read the jokes before the audience laughs.

Dawn P.

RE: I agree!

My husband and I have normal hearing, however, we always watch television with the closed captioning on. That way we can turn the volume down and preserve our gift of hearing.

Thanks, everyone!

I never expected this reaction, or this many people talking about closed captioning's many virtues! I appreciate you all!
:-jumpy
Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.