Clean Eating

Madonna

Cathlete
Hi Cathe:

I have heard you mention several times about clean eating. I think you mean low fat and not a lot of processed foods. Is that correct? I have recently read that low fat may not be where its at. Can you please give us an example of clean eating?

Hi, Madonna,

I am not Cathe but I'd like to address your question anyway.
You're right. The less processed the food the better. As for fat, it's an important nutrient but it's nothing to fear! The good ones, like monounsaturated olive oil and canola oil and Omega-3's (fish oil/flax oil or seeds) are essential to good health. As long as it comprises less than 30% of your overall diet, it's fine. Fat also supplies alot of texture and flavor. The "bad" ones like butter and shortening should be used in moderation. I believe no food should be forbidden. Denying yourself is a great way to set up for a binge!

Food is about more than nutrition. It can and should add pleasure to life. You CAN have your cake and eat it too! Be moderate. Eat lots of veggies and whole grains but leave a little room for dessert! Fat isn't the bad guy; it's too many calories overall. Whether they come from fat or protein or carbhydrate is incidental. Eat a variety! Eat fruit and particularly vegetables and whole grains which are the nutritional powerhouses our bodies need. Then every once in a while indulge. Balance is the key!
Bobbi http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/petals.gif

Hi Madonna! This question came up not too long ago and here is the response I gave:

Clean eating is eating foods in their most natural unprocessed state. I like to use an apple as an example.

Unclean: apple pie

cleaner: applesauce

cleanest: an apple

Hope this helps!

Madonna,

I just read that eating as little as 2 ounces per day of processed meat can increase your risk of cancer by as much as 50%. I think that's also a good example. Processing damages the food in such a way as to make it dangerous (Sorry, Jared!). I also know that grilling increases the carcinogenic effect of meat. But the good news is marinading reduces the risk tremendously. So, the more natural the state of the food, the better.

Grains that are highly processed lose important elements which are not replaced during the enrichment process. So, if a product says "enriched" nutrients have been removed then replaced but rarely to the extent they should be!

Hope this helps!

Bobbi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.