Are Circuit Workouts As Effective As Interval Workouts....

Soosan

Cathlete
...for increasing cardio capacity?

I won't have a lot of time to work out in August, so I've decided to alternate tough circuit workouts (Gauntlet, BC, etc) with shorter yoga and Pilates sessions. I'm hopng this will help me to maintain my strength and improve my cardio capacity. Since a lot of your workouts seem "intervalish," I'm wondering if they're as effective as, say, the Imaxes.

If anyone else wants to chime in, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

IMHO, interval workouts are better than circuit workouts (especially circuit workouts that incorporate upper and lower body resistance cycles, as opposed to simply focusing on the lower body) if cardio capacity is the only variable you're looking at. That said, I think that if you do Gauntlet as produced, AND Circuit Max as produced, you will be at the serious upper end of cardio work.

And, if you really want to max out both, may I suggest doing a little variation with Interval Max, I-Max 2 and I-Max 3 (this suggestion really only works with the DVD versions of these workouts):

Make at least one of your August workouts an Interval Max, an I-Max 2, and an I-Max 3 workout (one per week and then your fave for the fourth week); HOWEVER, after each power blast, grab the remote and hit the PAUSE button, and bang out 32 squats, plie squats and lunges with a barbell or two heavier dumbbells. THEN, un-pause and advance IMMEDIATELY to the next mid-range aerobic segment (i.e. no recovery stuff). The squats and lunges are your cardio recovery.

This works. Trust me.

A-Jock

RE: Are Circuit Workouts As Effective As Interval Worko...

Ah, Sooooooooooooosan, Sooooooooooooosan . . . if that is still your name at this hour of the day . . .

Actually, let it be known that Fiona ferreted out (or squirreled out) my password for my screen name and posted the above suggestions ubeknownst to me. Had I been the one to respond to you, of course I would've recommended doing the I-Max Circuit-Style workouts all in one session back to back.

A-Jock

>Make at least one of your August workouts an Interval Max, an
>I-Max 2, and an I-Max 3 workout (one per week and then your
>fave for the fourth week); HOWEVER, after each power blast,
>grab the remote and hit the PAUSE button, and bang out 32
>squats, plie squats and lunges with a barbell or two heavier
>dumbbells. THEN, un-pause and advance IMMEDIATELY to the next
>mid-range aerobic segment (i.e. no recovery stuff). The
>squats and lunges are your cardio recovery.
>
>
Hey, A-jock, I did IMAX2 yesterday, and thought of your post, so instead of the recovery grapevines, etc., I did 20-24 unweighted squats (the number that would fit in during the recovery period) instead. It was a nice variation to get both recovery and some extra leg work. (Though I did the regular recovery after the 9th section, I think it was, with the hops, jacks and plyo jacks, which was enough leg work for me at the time!).

Hi, Kathryn (you 5K Poster you!) - glad you liked the variation!

In a couple of weeks I'm going to take my own suggestion and do an I-Max 3 Circuit Workout; I may combine it with Body Max (a rediscovered delight) and Boot Camp cardio-only premix. One of the problems (if you can call it a problem) with Cathe interval workouts, I've found, is that the more I do them the less I need the recovery stuff, so I've had to get creative - not to mention quick with the chapter-advance button on the remote. Thank God for DVDs.

A-Jock

I did the "stop me before I mish mosh" the other day and I was saying "THANK GOD FOR VHS TAPES" (which I rarely say in any other circumstance). Actually I did the IMAX portion in DVD, BUT I still have BC on VHS which gives me a full 30-45 seconds to advance to the next blast - no complaints here.

I have to agree with AJ.....I love the Imax's with the squats/lunges mixed in. I also subbed in some step up's on a highstep with the barbell on my shoulders, in place of some lunge sets. GREAT GREAT workout!!

Briee

You guys, doesn't this just make you all pine for a new Cathe workout:

Interval Circuit Max

Lower body circuits ONLY this time around. Start with cardio / resistance ratios 5:2, then 4:1.5, then 3:1 then 1:1; by the time we're at 1:1 we're in the nosebleed blast zone.

Who's with me?

I say again:

Who's with me?

Anyone?

No?

ah well it was just a thought

aj

Count me in as one who is pining! I'm SURE there are others...

I'm in....but if the wind changes...I might be out again :p :p :p Actually I'd like Cathe to shoot a Jack Heaven/Interval with leg work workout....how about that eh???

I just read through the August rotation...I've never done a Cathe prescribed rotation, BUT this one looks interesting.

I have a 5K to run in September (yes runathon...that dreaded 5K which I never run a single mile to prepare for). I figure Cathe's prescription for this month should adequately get my slow twitched muscles (all two fibers) sufficiently stimulated to allow me a fighting chance at getting to the finish line (and I want to get there first I might add }( }( }( ). Although truth be told...I don't believe in ANY WAY that Cathe came up with this rotation....it's the evil twin for sure. I did Body Max for the first time....no wonder AJ likes it - sick minds. x( x( x(

Briee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.