Chin Ups with Winged Scapula

ajm4444

Dear Cathe,

I have been a big fan for a few years now. I have always been one for tough workouts. I have had a difficult time finding someone that I feel can at least challenge me. I must say you are one of the few. I love to be challenged with new exercises and am willing and ready to do just about any one. I just received the STS workout as a gift and am very much looking forward to doing it. I note in Disc 2 that some of the exercises include chin ups and pull ups.

This is one type of exercise I have not been able to do despite years of trying. I can hold myself up for long periods of time. I can swing on monkey bars with no problem. After speaking to my chiropractor, he told me that the reason why I cannot is due to a condition called winged scapula, which Answers.com explains is "(a) condition characterized by protrusion of the medial border of the scapula from the thorax as the scapula rotates out, caused by paralysis of the anterior serratus muscle. Also called scapula alata."

I believe in my case, I was born with this. I am also hyperflexible, which I think is the reason why I have the winged scapula. My questions are do you have any knowledge of such a condition? If so, do you know of any way around it in order to be able to do chin ups and pull ups?

I look forward to your response.

Thank you and I look forward to doing this series and your upcoming cardio version.

Best wishes,

Alycia J. Mellgren

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.