Chest Press (or bench press?)

rachel132

Cathlete
In PS CST Cathe does chest presses with a barbell and then later uses dumbells for what appears to be the same movement. I have yet to get a barbell and am using dumbells for everything and was wondering if the barbell works the muscle differently.

The barbell can help you perform the press differently in that it makes you keep your hands in a fixed position / width throughout the lift and lowering of the weight, thus changing the relative recruitment of the pecs vs. the anterior delts and triceps. With dumbbells your hands / arms tend to adduct somewhat as you get to the top of the press.

I personally prefer to use the barbell for bench / chest presses precisely because I can keep a much wider grip on the barbell, thus recruiting the pecs more. But variety is the spice of life, and it helps to vary barbell vs. dumbbells with chest presses as well as anything else.

A-jock

You're welcome, Rachel! Consider getting the Troy Lite system, for which Cathe provides a link on her home page in the Buyer's Guide; I think the Troy Lite system is still marketed through Fitness First (don't know the website address).

The Troy Lite system has a really nice, slim and short (4-foot) 5-lb bar, and various rubberized weight plates in weight loads of 2.5 lbs, 5 lbs, 7.5 lbs and 10 lbs each. The bar can hold up to 80 lbs of weight plates. Troy Lite also markets a neck pad which I find very helpful for barbell squat/lunge work (trust me, barbell squats/lunges are awesome!).

Hope this helps -

a-jock

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.