Cathe, will I ever make it through STS?

bayerngirl

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I don’t know if you remember the last time I did STS in April, I had sinus surgery. I only made it through M1.

Monday I was doing M2 D 16 (I had to lower my weights by 10 lb). Tuesday morning I woke up with lower back/hip pain, I still decided to go ahead and do my cardio workout (I went for an hour run outside). Wednesday my lower back/ hips got worse. I thought maybe I was a little sore from STS or my runs, so I did SM. I was too afraid to do D 17 (legs)Wednesday, I decided to take a rest day because I couldn’t bend over. Yesterday I was out of town all day with DH; so I figured Friday that I would make up for all my missed workouts.

The pain got so bad today that my DH made me go to a doctor. The orthopedist did some checks and determined I may have a herniated disk. So she sent me for an x-ray. The x-ray revealed the disk was bad L3 and 4. The herniation is pressing on a nerve. The doctor gave me a shot directly into the area and prescribed muscle relaxers and Ibuprofen for inflammation.

My DH is staying here from his travels to take care of me. The doctor contacted the hospital in case my back gets worse. She suspects it will get better, in any case I am receiving an MRI on Monday and she has directed that I do not exercise before next Friday. That makes me so frustrated. All I want to do is finish STS ONCE! I just don’t seem to make it through? My question, if I get the ok from the doctor next week, can I pick up with M2 D16, 17 and 18 again? Or do I have to start all over again? I want to cry right now. I am seeing very nice results with STS.

The doctor did say that most adults have herniated disks to some degree, most do not hit a nerve causing problems. We are praying that I do not need surgery (fingers crossed). Again, the doctor said it is unlikely, but she wants to be careful.

Do you or anyone else have any thoughts/advice, would be greatly appreciate it!

Belinda,
I am so sorry you are going through this. I will keep you in my prayers that all works out well for you and hopefully with a little rest you will be back in the thick of STS.

Belinda, put STS aside right now, heal up and return to it only when you are well. It's not worth risking further injury. Take care and STS will be waiting when you are ready :)

Belinda I'm sorry to heard this, but I hope everything goes well and you don't need surgery.
Take care Belinda.
STS will be waiting for you, that's right.;)

Belinda - I'm sorry you have injured yourself and I know what it feels like to not be able to finish (I've started twice and had to stop after Meso 2 because of injuries - stupid ones caused by ME)... hang in there. Prayers coming your way for the MRI results to show no surgery is needed!

Thanks ladies, for you thoughts, prayer, hugs and advice! You girls are right; it's not worth risking further injury. I am too afraid to lift any heavy weights right now; my lower back is killing me. There is now way I can squat 90 + lb right now! I am very positive; I hope I don’t need surgery. I still need surgery for my sinus. Still putting that one off, lol!

Thanks again! You girls are great:D

herniated discs

Hi,

I herniated 2 discs in my lower back 2 years ago. Although it was very painful and took some time to recover, I'm almost 100% now. I didn't have surgery, nor the steroid epidurals. Each case is different and it does get better, but I think in almost all cases it takes a lot of patience and perseverance. I am not suggesting that you do this, but I did continue to lift for upper body with lighter weights; like meso 1. I actually made great gains in upper body strength during that time and I didn't lift anything over 15lbs above my head.

Hang in there and I feel your pain. I could hardly sit down for several months.

Tracy

Listen to your doctor. Earlier this year I was in the 3rd week of Meso 1 and strained my shoulder. Went to the chiropractor and he told me to take it easy. I rested a few days and tried it again. Went to do chest work and felt like it was rolling back and forth. The tension caused my collar bone to shift and I couldn't lift my arm or pull my shoulder back or let it sit forward or let my arm rest at my side. It put me out of commission since June. I am now paying off the doctor bills and just got cleared to start working out again 2 weeks ago with restrictions.
My goal is to be ready for STS when the Shock Tower is delivered but I'm proceeding with caution.

Hi,

I herniated 2 discs in my lower back 2 years ago. Although it was very painful and took some time to recover, I'm almost 100% now. I didn't have surgery, nor the steroid epidurals. Each case is different and it does get better, but I think in almost all cases it takes a lot of patience and perseverance. I am not suggesting that you do this, but I did continue to lift for upper body with lighter weights; like meso 1. I actually made great gains in upper body strength during that time and I didn't lift anything over 15lbs above my head.

Hang in there and I feel your pain. I could hardly sit down for several months.

Tracy

Hi Tracy, thanks for you advice! How long did it take you to recover from it? Are we talking like weeks or months? I am still in a lot of pain, even with all the meds, don’t get it? I had the MRI done yesterday; I still have to wait until Friday to get all the results(the orthopedist is out of town). I am hoping the doctor will give me the ok to workout again soon, miss my workouts. I did started walking (only 10 min), can’t sit on my butt anymore, like you said it hurts just sitting, lol. Looks like heavy weight lifting is on hold for now, the orthopedist wasn’t to happy when I told here I did 91 lb squats and 81 lb deadlifts:(, I did a search on the forum, looks like no more deadlifts for awhile for me, not sure what I should do instead? I am still searching, lol! I can’t even do any stretching or yoga until Friday, doctor’s orders! I don't want to make it worst. It's very frustrating having to reastart STS over and over and over:(

Thanks again!
Belinda

Listen to your doctor. Earlier this year I was in the 3rd week of Meso 1 and strained my shoulder. Went to the chiropractor and he told me to take it easy. I rested a few days and tried it again. Went to do chest work and felt like it was rolling back and forth. The tension caused my collar bone to shift and I couldn't lift my arm or pull my shoulder back or let it sit forward or let my arm rest at my side. It put me out of commission since June. I am now paying off the doctor bills and just got cleared to start working out again 2 weeks ago with restrictions.
My goal is to be ready for STS when the Shock Tower is delivered but I'm proceeding with caution.

Thanks lcsavik! I will listen to my doctor, like Catherine sad, STS will be here. Like I said above, I am doing a lot of searching on line/OF and realized, I'll better listen to everyone’s advice. They all went through all this stuff and know better. I feel like an idiot for thinking I will be up and running in no time:rolleyes:

(((HUGS))) I hope your shoulder is 100%, when the STS Tower comes out!

Take care,
Belinda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.