Cathe - will I ever be able to keep up with the intensity (m)

Leela

Cathlete
Cathe -

As you may remember from my previous postings, i've been complaining about my loss of fitness, gaining of fat for almost 2 years now
happy.gif
. My daughter is 20 mos, and while i'm actually down a 10 of the 25 lbs I wanted to lose (although I don't really base weight loss on numbers...), my fitness level is nowhere near what it used to be.

You don't know me, so its impossible for you to really answer this question completely - but here's the thing - I used to be very active , and could do Powermax on a 6 inch step without too many power modifiations. I could also do MIS, but MIC was never something that felt good to me.

Is there hope for me? Do you see people in your classes who have to desperately modify your hi impact stuff - only to eventually be able to do it full intensity all the way through?

Thanks a bunch - and hope you are enjoying your son. This is a great age - lots of crawling, standing, etc... Of course, I've yet to see an age that I haven't though is "Great" with my kid.. its so much fun watching them develop and grow.

Leela

Hi Leela!

I'm not Cathe or any kind of expert, but here is one suggestion that might help. Set little goals for yourself in going just a little bit further the next time you do a particular workout. For instance, if you have to modify everything to low impact in Power Max, next time, decide where you might go for a little more intensity and try to reach that goal. It might just be one set of adding power to a step. The next time you might be able to do two sets, and add on from there. Nothing huge, but something doable for you. I have found that if I mentally prepare myself with specific goals, most of the time I can reach that goal - of course, there are some days where I can barely turn the VCR on and those days I just have to accept!

I think that if you really want to improve your fitness level, you'll get there - you go girl, and keep us posted!

Cheers,
Colia

Just be consistent

Leela,

I have to echo what Colia said. Take small steps and be consistent! You will improve, and most likely, you'll get back everything and more. It just takes a bit of time. (I know, its hard to be patient!)

Eileen

MIC is the one I can't get through

I tell myself I LIKE having one tape I Can't complete without stopping for a breather. MIC is the one--no matter how good I feel when I start--
I can't get through it all at once. (I can't believe Cathe and the others did it at one fell swoop!!) anyhow, point is--just a little past the usual stopping point is a victory. Keep going...Murph

Hang in there, Leela

With a twenty month old, I am surprised you have time to exercise at all! Be kind to yourself and cut yourself lots of slack because they are little only once and you never get that back. My son is now three and a half and I am pretty much at my pre-pregnancy fitness level. But it took fully 15 months for me to exercise with any regualrity just because he was demanding, hated the baby jogger and anything which took my attention from him. He is more interested in other things now and exercising is much easier. You'll get there! Anybody who's a Cathe follower is gonna get fit sooner or later!

Hi Leela!

Yes, I believe your fitness level will come back. It truly takes time, focus, and consistency(which is many times very hard to manage with the young ones needing your attention). When I first had Eric, my abs felt so weak the first few days in the hospital. After about 4 days I felt very tired and it was still such an effort to load the car seat into the car. But each day I got a little stronger and things got a little easier. Then we moved into our new house which required me to do extra stairs everyday. While at first a task, this eventually got easier too. My first week back to work was tough(7 weeks postpartum). I modified a lot of my workouts. Then after about three weeks of being back into my routine I focused on pushing harder during the cardio for just a couple of extra minutes per workout. After about two months those minutes added up and I found my endurance back to what is was before the baby.

It was setting these small goals and keeping my focus that made it happen for me. So my advice is to try setting small goals for yourself on a weekly basis. Each week try to match or improve upon the previous weeks goals. Just be sure to set realistic goals and keep your focus and consistency. Good Luck!

Thank you!!

Since posting that, i've NOT been able to do your videos due to a killer cold my toddler managed to give me. However, I KNOW I can get it all back. Can't wait to lose this cold so I can get cracking! (This weekend?)

Thanks to everyone who responded, and thank you Cathe!

Leela

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.