Cathe , what got you.........

dhcsim

Cathlete
into fitness in the first place? If you started in your home, did you do vhs tapes or just free style? Is Cathe.com bigger than what you invisioned? :D

Hi Heather! I started out taking a fitness class at Elaine Powers when I was 16. I loved it so much that I decided I wanted to learn to teach and haven't stopped teaching since.

"Is Cathe.com bigger than what you invisioned?"

Absolutely :) It is one magnificent labor of love.

Elaine Powers. Oh my gosh, Cathe. You just sent me right back to the 80s! I haven't thought of Elaine Powers since ... well, the 80s, I think. :7

Marla

OMG I used to go there with my mom when I was a teenager. Gee, too bad I didn't follow in Cathe's footsteps! LOL

Okay, I am 34 and have never heard of Elaine Powers. I do admire you on your dedication. I hope to really advance w/ your workouts and beome a whole lot healthier. Thanks for responding.:)

Cathe,

Elaine Powers...that is too funny because I remember my Mom and her best friend taking me there to work out with them and I loved it too! I then taught a small segment of what I learned at gym class in school and there has been no turning back for me either. There is something so wonderful about really loving something and having other people follow what you're doing, isn't there? It's an awesome responsibility, but so much fun.

Cathe, I teach and try my best to challenge others every day. But thank YOU for challenging ME everyday as well!! You are simply the best in every way, personally and professionally. I am so happy that someone so nice has found such success!!!! :)

Cathe-
Hi, I have a few questions. I too after doing some of your workouts love it so much that I want to learn to teach. When you decided that you wanted to learn to teach, how did you go about "learning to teach"? Did somebody at the Elaine Powers studio teach you? Was that when you got ACE certified? How did you learn to create such great choreography and tough workouts and such great, seamless cueing???}(

Elaine Powers!!!

That causes me to pull from the long lost corners of my memories! I remember my mom going there too when I was about 12. I also remember wondering about the whole thing... why was she doing that???

But it is a great lesson for all of us moms, I think. :: My mom instilled in me the realization of the need to care for my body through fitness and a love of exercise. I want to pass that on to my girls too! :)

Hi Jersey Curl! Elaine Powers had structured tapes (ie: Monday is tape #38) where you memorized the routines. So there was no creating involved, just memorizing. I simply took the tape home and learned the tape from practicing it over and over. I got ACE certified years later as there were no Group Fitness certifying organizations until the mid 80's.

>>>>>>>How did you learn to create such great choreography and tough workouts and such great, seamless cueing???}( >>>>>>>>>>

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE Over time I just taught what I felt clicked with me and brought me results. That was the base. Then over the years I attended choreography workshops for fitness instructors which would show you breakdown methods. These were just ideas as there is no exact way to teach. Everyone will have their own style and delivery. After teaching through the years though, you develop a sense of what works, what doesn't, what goes with what, what people love, what they hate, things that confuse them, ways to make it easier for them to learn, etc. It was not easy but I always loved it so I never tired of it.

Good luck to you!

Thanks, you are the best. Have you considered coming out with an educational instructional video for up and coming instructors? Because we all know you are the "INSTRUCTOR'S INSTRUCTOR".}(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.