Cathe-what do you think about aquatics?

First let me say that your are the best instructor I have ever come across.Thank you for your expertise in all that you do.Im asking your opinion on aquatic exercise.Have you ever taught in this enviorment of water?What are your experiences with this type of workout if any?Would love to hear your adviceon this subject.I respect and trust your responde like always.I feel confident in your answers in an always chaging somewhat contradicted proffesion.Thank you in advance.
By the way,has anyone ever told you that you have the absolute most incredable customer service in the entire world.I won't even go on with why,I could type all darn day on this subject matter.Great staff of people running the shop over there.THANK YOU STAFF AT CATHE"S PLACE.YOU GUYS ARE GREAT.

Hi and thank you so much for all of your kind compliments. I'm afraid that I have not taught aqua-aerobics in over 10 years so I am unable to give you a fair answer on this type of exercise. At the time that I taught it there were not all of these fancy devises out that assist in creating a unique, effective, and challenging workout program. If it is something that you are truly interested in, you can get more information on getting certified by calling 888-AEA WAVE. If you would like to go to a convention that offers a large variety of aquatic classes, you can call Sara City Workout(saracity.com)at 1-800-545 CITY, for more information. Take Care :)!

Hello workoutfanatic,
I am a certified AEA instructor and have been teaching aqua aerobics since 1993. I would love to share some info about aqua classes.

I believe the following info was in the June 1999 issue of Weight Watchers Magazine:

"In general, water exercise burns seven calories per minute, with 75 percent of those calories coming from fat -- compared with land-based exercises, which burns approximately 10 calories per minute with 50 percent of those calories coming from fat. Because water provides 12 times the resistance of air, your muscles have to work harder to pull your body through it. Moving through water is like lifting liquid weight. If weight loss is your primary goal, you'll be interested to see how well wet workouts compare to land-based exercise when it comes to calorie burn. Check out these estimated numbers of calories burned per minute:

Aerobic dance - 6.2 to 6.6 KCAL per minute;
Aquatic exericse - 5.7 - 6.5 KCAL per minute;
Walking on land - 4.5 - 5.4 KCAL per minute;
Deep-water walking - 8.8 KCAL per minute;
Jogging on land - 8.0 KCAL per minute;
Deep-watter jogging - 11.5 KCAL per minute;"

Water exercise is great way to get in shape, whether it is your only form of exercise, or you are cross-training and combining water exercise with other forms of fitness.

At my gym, we use Hydro-fit hand buoys, also called foam dummbbells and we wear Hydro-fit resistance cuffs on the ankles. It is truly a great workout---because of the resistance of the water, you work opposing muscle groups at the same time. For example, while doing cross country skis, you not only work the front of the thighs (quadricep), you also work the back of your thighs (hamstrings). I could go on and on about this....Many of my *hard-body* Body PUMP and Step class participants take an aqua class once a week for cross training.

Hope you don't mind my jumping in here....As Cathe mentioned, the AEA is a wonderful organization and they do have a website as well. Hope you get in the pool and take a class - I know you'll have a splashin' good time!

Linda

Hi, "Workoutfanatic"!

Just wanted to put in my two cents worth on aquatic exercise - as you can probably tell from my handle, I'm a big believer in it!

You can get a wonderful cardio and muscle conditioning workout in the water, and the beauty is that you can condition the muscles DURING the cardio segments in a way that you really can't on land, especially the upper body. There is a lot of equipment you can use, and they are developing even more equipment as aqua grows in popularity - resistance mitts for the hands, hand buoys for upper body resistance work, cuffs for the legs for lower-body stuff, etc.

I teach aqua (in fact it's the only mode I know how to teach) and while I wouldn't say you can rely on aqua alone for a balanced program, it can be an important part of it. The trick is to find an instructor who values intensity as well as safety and "fun" - alas, far too many aqua instructors are afraid of "pushing" their participants. In fact, the trick for me was to BECOME an instructor - then I could teach the class I know was possible. I like to think I'm the Cathe Friedrich of the water environment!

Check out the water!

Annette

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.