Cathe: Substitute for stability ball pikes? Tendonitis :(

wendyloo

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
I have been diagnosed with tendonitis in my right hand, and I need to lay off stability ball pikes, which I really love to do and am quite good at :)
Can you suggest any alternative core moves that are very challenging? I have all of your workouts--I guess I'm looking for somthing other than what I already do, because nothing works quite like a pike for really getting in there.
I don't have access to a gym, so anything I do is going to have to be equiment-free (unless it is a band, dumbell, med ball, step, or BOSU, all of which I do have.)
Thanks for anything you can come up with! I don't want to lose this strength in my core.

Wendy

I'm assuming that the weight on a bent wrist is the problem?
How about trying these with your forearm on the floor (in a lowered plank position) and your feet either on Gliding Discs, paper plates (on carpet) or rags (on wood floor). Then you can go through about the same motion. You could also put your forearms on your Bosu, to add a bit of stability challenge, and force the core to work even more.

Hi Wendy! Sorry to hear about your tendonitis. Stay committed to your rehab exercises (assuming you were given some) and things will improve tremendously in about 4 to 6 weeks.

The ball exchange exercise with straight legs (vs the bent leg option) is a good substitute. Lift up nice and high into a V-sit while you do that exchange}(

Balancing V-sits for 20 second holds will do the trick too. Just stay off of that wrist for now :)

Take Care~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.