A Cathe-style athlete in a half marathon?

amy_b

Cathlete
HI, Cathe,
First of all, I have to thank you from the bottom of my heart! I have lost 10 more pounds since the Road trip and I am at my goal weight. I have matched your weights in all my videos and am moving on to a percentage heavier. I LOVE LOVE LOVE being strong and fit! Sniff, sniff, sniff...I think I'll cry! LIke you, I am a former gymnast and track sprinter with extensive training in power, speed and agility. My friends are running a half marathon together and I'm enjoying the workout companionship. I'm coaching them 2 days a week in weights work and we are doing a long run on Saturdays. However, I feel totally out of my element in long distance runs. I don't really know what to do with myself to improve. We've worked up to 7 miles so far with no real trade-offs. I guess the main obstacle I'm facing is figuring out the differences in form and strategy for doing well in these types of races, which is so very different from everything I've done before. I don't know what to think about or how to coach myself besides, "keep going." ;) There's a part of me that is thinking, "Forget it, You aren't cut out for this." But another part of me would like to do it because of the bonding with friends and the challenge of having done it.
I think you've said before that you haven't done a marathon, right? I was wondering if you have any thoughts on distance training and its effect on aerobic gains and muscle sculpting. Do you give up any of your strength when you do long runs? I'm liking this "chiseled look" and I don't want to lose any of my scuplting. Do you have a reason that you don't run long races?

Any thoughts, Cathe or anyone? Thank you, again! You are the BEST!:*
Amy

Keeping this at the top for Cathe, but I ran a half and it was loads of fun. It never occurred to me to do anything BUT tell myself "keep going"!!!

WOW, btw, on the last 10 lbs!!!!! Amazing!!!!!

I was on track for a marathon and in the best cardio shape ever, then injured myself. (I was only running if you can believe it, no cross training. x( ) I'd send a PM to Carole on the topic to make sure she sees it. She mentioned the other day her internet is down, so she might not get it right away.

If you can make it to 7, you're more than halfway there. Congrats!!! The rest is just the return home!!! ;)

Thanks, Amy! :)
I appreciate your encouragement. I am used to feeling like I know what I am doing or else I have coaching (like Cathe). In this distance thing, I have no knowledge base and no coach, so.....what am I doing? ;)
And also, is there any reason NOT to do it? Besides the fact that I am sure I won't win. :D That's the other thing that feels odd to me. In my past competitions, the goal was always WIN! I am 100% sure that winning a distance race is not in my future.
I briefly looked into adult track meets and decided that it was not for me at this stage.
Thanks again!
Amy

Amy,

Just thought I would share my experience with running a half marathon.

I too am more fit for power, speed and agility type movements, but I have been running for about 8 years now. Currently I include a couple 5-mile runs each week within my rotation of Cathe cardio and strength.

I trained for and completed at half marathon in Oct. 2004. In order to get in the weekly mileage that I needed to feel prepared for the race, I had to cut back on my strength work. My legs could not recover from the long runs and do the heavy strength training that I was accustomed to.

I know that I was in good shape, but I did not look as good as I do now because of the lack of strength work. I did lose some of my definition. I also felt very puffy from all of the carbs that I felt I needed to fuel my workouts.

If you are considering training for a half marathon, I would recommend finding a standard training program. Check out the following websites:
www.halhigdon.com
www.runnersworld.com
www.coolrunning.com

Good Luck,

Tina

hello! i ran 1/2 marathon oct 2005 and it was so much fun. I trained all summer long and found if you learn how to pace yourself, the long distance miles will get easyer. Pacing is learning how to run at a smooth speed. don't rush just keep same rhythm. . also i ran 13 miles two weeks before the actual race. i knew what to expect of myself then. I plan on running a full marathon in oct,06, or jan 07. I can't wait! good luck and lets us all know how great it was. hope this helps.

Way to go Amy! Congrats on reaching your goal weight! Yipeeee! Good Luck with your training and good for you for encouraging your friends to get/stay healthy! Keep up the good work. Any recent pix???
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Congrats Amy - WTG, you should be very proud of yourself for your great accomplishment.

I'm curious if you had any luck regarding an exercise rotation implementing Cathe strength and/or endurance and your training for a 1/2 marathon? I'm training for one and just started, last time I didn't do ANY weights and struggled with the run, I want to do it RIGHT this time and any thing that you've been able to collect would be a great help. Thank you - I know there are some VERY knowledgable people on these boards so we should be able to come up with some good things to go on.

Good luck,
Marcia.

Hi Amy! Wow, I am so excited to hear of your successful accomplishments...high fives to you! You are in amazing shape. Keep up the awesome work. Your friends are lucky to have you as their coach!

As for marathon training...I view this type of training as a separate enchilada from running a couple of times a week to enhance your cardio capacity and add variety to your fitness program. Your focus will need to change a bit and you will most likely need to make some changes in your current lifting program to accomodate your marathon training.

I highly recommend visiting runnersworld.com or any other credible runner's specific website to gain further knowledge. Specificity training is what you will want to focus on now. It is the only way to be totally and appropriately prepared for the job at hand.

Best of luck to you and please do keep me informed of your progress:)

Thanks, everyone for your encouragement! :) I appreciate all of your input so much. I love this board!
We had a little pow-wow with the girls who will be running this race. There is one ranked triathlete, then there is me- definitely fitness minded but with different goals, and then there are 3 more of us at various levels of fitness, all with young kids and busy life-styles. We've decided to build a memory together and do this thing, but we are going to follow the www.jeffgalloway.com plan for an injury free run and training phase. We are going to walk when we need to walk and do the best we can, but not go for any awards. For me, this removes the pressure. Yea! I will enjoy this and I think building some endurance will be good for my mind!! }( I'm going to be really careful because of some old injuries that I have and my #1 goal will be to avoid injury so that I don't get sidelined from workouts all together. Otherwise, I'm going to do the very best I can! This Saturday is 8 miles, baby!!!! Yowza- a personal (wimpy to some) best for me in the distance arena.
And...for you, Debbie, here's a Christmas pic. My sweater is making me look like I have abs from a Batman suit or something. ;) Yea, I'm workin' on that, but those are just wrinkles. ;)
Oh, and Cathe, by the way, I ordered a DVD from you and 2 other places all on the same day and SNM was the winner in the "timely deliveries" category. Congrats to you and the folks. ;)
http://home.flash.net/~timbobo/amys-attic/Christmaspic.JPG

Amy, I have no experience in the running dept, so don't have much to add except to say congratulations on your accomplishments and tell you what a beautiful family you have! I admire the thought you're putting into this new endeavor and applaud your decision to, as you say, "create a memory" for your circle of friends. Best of luck to everyone and keep us posted!

Hi Amy....Kudos to you for taking a very safe and sensible approach to your future fitness endeavor. I'm so excited for you and your friends. Good luck on Saturday's 8 mile goal.

I have to tell you that you and your family look like the picture of health and happiness. Each one of you has that fresh outdoorsy glow. Even your furry little one. Great Picture!

Amy, my goodness!! Your children are beautiful--and you're not so bad yourself! This is a beautiful family photo:+

Michele

Oh, Thanks! (blush!)
Allison, I hope your little baby is growing well and getting ready to meet you.:7

Amy, if you don't mind...can I toss in my 2 cents?

First, you look FABULOUS in your picture!

Second, enjoy the running! ENJOY IT! I do NOT and have NEVER considered myself a runner, but you know what??? I just did my first ever marathon this past Sunday in Disney. I have always been an endurance athlete, but never got into running....it was always team sports for me...volleyball, softball and basketball. I began running just about a year ago and did this awesome marathon just 5 short days ago!

My training coach based our training off Jeff Galloway's program. It worked for me.

Your comment about it feeling wierd cuz you know you aren't going to win...that was true for me too, but winning here was not my goal. SO...I set another, realistic goal...to run my first marathon under 5 hours. My time? 4:55:25! That's winning to me!

GOOD LUCK! KEEP US POSTED! KEEP RUNNING! KEEP GOING!

Gayle

Amy, I have no advice. I just had to post and say that you look absolutely FANTASTIC!! Congratulations!! Your family is beautiful!! Take care of yourself and good luck!

--Jennifer

What a BEAUTIFUL picture Amy! You are absolutely gorgeous and I think your ABS look great! BTW, blue is def YOUR color! Sooo becoming on you. Your family is too cute. Thanks for taking the time to post this. Congrats on your weightloss, your hard work and Good Luck in your training.
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Hi Amy,

I don't really have any advice, but I just wanted to join all the others in giving you lots and lots of encouragement!! You may feel at times that you're "not cut out for this," but I promise you, you will be able to do it if you give yourself time to adjust and listen to your body.

I ran my first half-marathon in October (I also walked one a few months earlier), and I never thought I could do it either. I had never run until I started training for the event 5 months prior, and no one was more amazed than I when I was able to get through it. I did it with an organization called Team in Training (which helps raises money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society) and we had AWESOME coaches who trained us every step of the way, telling us what/how to eat, how many miles to run, when to run, what types of cross-training to do, etc. I think having the coaches and having a team to train with made all the difference for me in getting me over the hurdle, but I have been able to keep the discipline ever since.

During my training, I continued to do weight training on my non-running days. I found that I didn't lose strength, and in fact, gained some! The strength training helped tremendously for my runs, particularly the lower body training. One of the reasons I couldn't ever succeed in running before was that my legs would get tired so easily; not so this time around, since the weights helped give me lots of stamina.

As for aerobic gains, I grew by leaps and bounds. I had mostly done step, kickboxing, and long-distance walking until then (I had also trained with TnT to walk my half-marathon a few months before), and I THOUGHT I was in shape--until I started running and discovered how wrong I was! After I started running, my lung capacity grew tenfold. Workouts that used to leave me feeling winded now feel much more doable (I recently got through PowerMax without gasping like I normally do near the end!). It's to the point now where if I'm not running, it doesn't feel like a cardio workout anymore ;) (although I do force myself to cross-train, just so my body doesn't get used to doing just one thing).

Anyway, sorry for the long message, but I saw your post and had to reply. Congratulations on what you are about to do and please don't get discouraged. You will have those tough days where you wonder why in the world you ever chose to do this, and then you have those days when you run a 10-miler with ease (ok, maybe not ease, but you won't feel like dying afterwards!) and you feel like you can accomplish anything. Just hold on to those days and remember what they feel like; relive them in your head when you run your event.

Good luck!
Jennifer

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.