Cathe, ? on spot gaining!

shanihib

Cathlete
I know you can't spot reduce, but I'm struggling with trying to whittle away some of those stubborn spots by overall body fat reduction. The problem with that is that my upper body starts to really look bony at about the time that my hips and thighs look decent (not good, mind you). :confused:

So, I'm thinking that what I really need to do is build up the muscle in the upper chest so that it doesn't look slightly wavy. Does that make sense? Are there muscles there that could be bulked up a bit to provide a more solid appearance? Thanks!

I know you can't spot reduce, but I'm struggling with trying to whittle away some of those stubborn spots by overall body fat reduction. The problem with that is that my upper body starts to really look bony at about the time that my hips and thighs look decent (not good, mind you). :confused:

So, I'm thinking that what I really need to do is build up the muscle in the upper chest so that it doesn't look slightly wavy. Does that make sense? Are there muscles there that could be bulked up a bit to provide a more solid appearance? Thanks!

Shani, Not Cathe here (obviously!), but I have the same problem: my chest can easily get 'chicken boney' looking, while my hips and thighs start looking good. One thing that really helps me is incline chest work. I make sure to include incline presses and/or flyes in every chest workout I do. And I work different angles (some with just one extra riser on the top, some with two).

Same problem different body part

I have this same question, except in reverse!!! When everything else starts getting nice and slim and toned I lose my butt!! I guess I need to experiment with working just my butt with heavier weights or something...but if anyone has successfully dealt with this I'd love to hear what worked!

Kerry

I'm pretty sure squats lift the butt and make it more rounded... Maybe someone else will know for sure. ;)

I have this same question, except in reverse!!! When everything else starts getting nice and slim and toned I lose my butt!! I guess I need to experiment with working just my butt with heavier weights or something...but if anyone has successfully dealt with this I'd love to hear what worked!
Step ups (1-legged leg press), deadlifts (especially fulll ones with heavy weights) and squats help this area. Heavy kettlebell swings are excellent for it!

(I've always found the "Firm" workouts--those that came after volume 6 and before the Gaiam Firms---excellent for raising and filling out the booty!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.