Cathe Quirks?

Joey

Hi Cathe! I've noticed in some of your videos that you loosen your hands during the negative motion on bicep curls, and you lift your feet, ever so slightly, when doing ab crunches. Is this a quirk, or is it to make sure the proper muscle is doing the work? Is this something we should be doing, too?

I have noticed this too! I tried the loosening of the hands (being the copy cat I am) on the negative motions especially on crazy 8s and have noticed alot less strain on my wrists. They used to feel as if they would break before all the reps were done, but now that I do this it gives them a slight break and I can finish the exercise.

Hi Joey and Redsunshyn! My feet lifting during crunches may be a quirky thing (I'll key into this next time I do my crunches and see if I pick up on it;-) ).

As for the looser grip on the negative portion of the bicep curl....I do this out of habit now. There was a time when I curled very heavy weight during my own workouts and I would grip the bar too hard putting too much tension in my hands and exhausting my forearms prematurely. I loosened the grip to keep this from happening and now find myself doing it quite often with all of my workouts.

If you have tightness or tension in your fingers/hands, or your forearms burn excessively while doing bicep curls, you may want to try this to see if it helps you too. I think I may have even mentioned this form pointer in Power Hour, but I'm not sure.

Take Care!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.