Cathe: question about running...

JoyceMarie

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!

In addition to your incredible videos, I have recently incorporated running into my workout schedule. Actually, I was surprised to find out how much I enjoy it.

Anyway, here's my question: can running give someone with puny calves more 'bulk'? I know that calves are probably the hardest muscle to build, and you're either genetically gifted with them or not, but I'm not giving up yet! I did read in a magazine (I believe it was Oxygen) that running can help build up your calves. True? Please say yes! :)

Thanks!
Joyce

Calves

Joyce, just thought I'd jump in here as I'm a runner and will give my .02. Running will definitely strengthen your calves but, as far as I know, it won't add bulk. You need to do calf raises with weight to add bulk. Sorry this isn't what you wanted to hear. I know Cathe will correct me if I'm wrong.
Shara :)

RE: Calves

Hi Shara!

Thanks for the input. I was afraid of hearing that, but I'm not terribly surprised. As far as weight training goes, I can do calf presses forever w/ a ton of weight (well, not literally!), and my calves will get stronger and 'denser', but the size won't change.

This is SO discouraging! I have had skinny little calves all my life! I want some shape!

Disappointed,
Joyce

Just a thought, but perhaps you should title this "question about skinny calves..." rather than running. You may get more responses. And that's my 2 cents!

Hi Joyce! Endurance exercises generally promote muscle conditioning and heavy weight training promotes strength and growth. So the combination of both running and calf work would be your best bet. But calves are so genetic(as you know)so you may not see a signifigant difference if you have always struggled with calf size. Good Luck!

Hello Joyce,

As a fellow runner, (one thats out with a borken ankle right now) I can say that even if your calves don't increase in size, running will most definately give your calves really awsome definition, more so then I've ever been able to achieve with any other form of exercise or weights. That said, keep running and you may find that the definition you get is satisfactory enough. Good luck and have fun
Crystal

Running changed my legs completely, Joyce. I had the worlds scrawniest legs and they look toned and athletic now. Not by any means muscular but definitely better shaped than my non-running days. I bet you'll see some improvement too!

Bobbi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.