Cathe- question about equiptment

Hi Cathe- I just recently "discovered" you and love your challenging workouts! Thank you!

Anyway, I wanted to know a couple of things and I hope these won't be redundant questions that others have asked in the past. First, many of your exercises involve barbells. I do not currently own a barbell and was wondering what other substitute I can use, if any. I thought maybe dumbells but for many exercises it does not seem feasible to use them.

Also, what type of barbell do you use in many of your new shows and videos? It is a black bar with black weights and you are able to change the weight quick and easy.

Thanks again for your great workouts and constantly challenging our bodies (and minds in cases like that crazy rhythmic step!:D )

Sincerely,
Angela

Hi Cathe- I just recently "discovered" you and love your challenging workouts! Thank you!

Anyway, I wanted to know a couple of things and I hope these won't be redundant questions that others have asked in the past. First, many of your exercises involve barbells. I do not currently own a barbell and was wondering what other substitute I can use, if any. I thought maybe dumbells but for many exercises it does not seem feasible to use them.

Also, what type of barbell do you use in many of your new shows and videos? It is a black bar with black weights and you are able to change the weight quick and easy.

Thanks again for your great workouts and constantly challenging our bodies (and minds in cases like that crazy rhythmic step!:D )

Sincerely,
Angela

Not Cathe, but dumbells will work until you get a barbell. In some exercises I use the dumbells exclusively, because I don't feel like going back and forth between the two.

I believe Cathe uses the Troy Bar. This is the barbell set I have, you can get the light set for 49.95. The poundage is up to 40 lbs and the bar is 5 lb. The bar can handle up to 80 lbs. I got mine off of http://www.fitness1st.com/Troy-Bars.html

Hope this helps.

For ease of changing weights, it is all about the collars on a barbell. Pay attention to what type they are. Mine has a plier like handle and I squeeze the handle, and slide the collar off, which is quick. There are other types that are quick as well.

Thank you for your help- I appreciate it. That seems like exactly what I am looking for in the way of a barbell.

One question- you say you can use dumbells but I am not sure how to effectively use dumbells when doing, say, squats. I mean, with the barbell, you place it above your shoulders and if you use dumbells,it is harder to make sure you are placing them both in the same position. Does that make sense? :) It is hard to explain what I mean. Basically it seems like I am spending more time trying to keep the barbells in the proper position than concentrating on the squat or lunge.

Thanks again for the info!

Angela

You can hold the dumbells at your side, one in each hand for squats or lunges. For the wide squats, you can hold one dumbell in your hand, placed between your legs and squat. She does it in MM and I believe GS Legs, also in SH Legs. You can get the same effect, but you may have to decrease in weight, for balancing reasons, but the effect is the same. As your balance gets better, you can increase in weight. All of Cathe's exercises with a barbell, you can practically use the dumbells as well.

I only use dumbbells right now because I don't have any room in my workout room (aka living room) for a barbell set. When doing squats and lunges with DB, I straddle the DB over my shoulders and hold the end that faces the front. It may not work for you, but like someone else said, you can hold them at your side.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.