Cathe, An Observation and More Kickboxing ????s

TarHeelMom

Cathlete
Cathe,

First of all, let me add to the pile of attagirls and tell you that the 8 new tapes are just unbelievable.

Observation -- Maybe it's motherhood -- I know being a good mother has always filled me with the sense of being The Bionic Woman -- but there's definitely a new maturity, confidence, and sophistication in your entire bearing in these tapes. Not that you were lacking any of that at all before, but there's definitely something new and really great to see. With the incredible new set, the very professional new intros, some great new hairdos for you, a wonderfully recovered post-Eric figure, and some really fresh exercise moves for your educated crowd, you have really just come into your own. Today I completed my first run through the 8-pack, and every time I did another one for the first time I was again struck by how completely you are in your "groove." I'll bet you're feeling like this moment in time is just the very best time of your life -- and it shows! Enjoy every second of it!

Questions re: kickboxing --

1 -- I can't believe how sore I am from each kickboxing segment! Why is this happening? I thought I was mixing up my workouts enough, but is this a sign that I've gotten into a rut? Or does kickboxing recruit the muscles that differently?

2 -- Can you suggest some ways to work on improving kickboxing-specific flexibility? That's always been my weak link and I am trying very hard to mimic your kickboxing form, but find that my lack of flexibility really limits my range of motion.

Thanks cutie!

Kathy S. in Atlanta

Me Too!!!

Kathy: I have been working out like a fiend too and thought I was in pretty good shape until I did cardio kicks. I was fine when I was doing the tape and then that night I felt like I was going to die. It is two days later and I am still incredibly sore. We MUST be using muscles in a whole new way with kickboxing. Even my calves hurt, and that is a new feeling for me. It is going to be interesting to hear what Cathe has to say about your letter.

Cynthia

Misery Loves Company!

Cynthia, how comforting to hear that you're hurtin' too!
happy.gif
You're right, these new moves must be a REALLY good shakeup to the system, because I, too, have been working out like a maniac for quite a while, and two days after doing Cardio Kicks I am still aching.

What are you doing to ease the soreness? Do you do anything special to increase your kickboxing flexibility?

Is anyone sore HERE?

I tried to do Cardio Kicks again today and as soon as I did my first kick i realized I was too sore to do it again yet. The place I really feel it is---on both legs, right above the knees but not in the front, but around on the outside-toward-the-back of the knees....going about 3-4 inches up. I realized these are the muscles that are needed to extend the lower leg out to do those SNAP & RECOILS!!!!!! If you understand the place I am trying to describe, would you let me know if YOU are sore there too from the Kickboxing tape?
Thanks---
Sore but happy--
Debbie

I was soooo sore

Hi kathy debbie and cynthia My name is andrea and I was in cardio kicks and if this makes you feel better I was soooo sore everytime we did that cardio kicks I think we are not use to punching and kicking but it does get better . bye

Sore muscles!!

I was sore in the same exact place, three or inches above the knee (not on my knee). It came from the muscles that are needed to extend the lower leg in the front. The move is done very slowly. I hope I am making sense. I don't remember if this was done in Cardio Kicks or Circuit Max. It is one of my favorite moves in the tape
happy.gif

I think that this is happening because I have not done kickboxing in a while, and I am not using these muscles. You guys are not the only ones feeling this.

I am loving the cardio kicks and the this power circuit training
happy.gif
happy.gif

Terri

Thanks Terri---

for telling me you're sore in that very same spot! It feels so strange cuz I've never done kickboxing before, so this is a completely new place for me to feel soreness. You're right, it is definitely the muscle used to extend the lower leg for each kick. I'm glad you told me that this is where you are sore too....now I know it's "normal".
Debbie

Yoga for flexibility

Hi Kathy S.... have you tried doing Yoga for flexibility?.... I've noticed that I can kick higher and stronger ever since I've been doing my yoga on a regular basis... it really does help in my flexibilty and also helps with my development of balance... which is important when you're trying to kick...

I'd recommend Rodney Yee's Back Care Yoga... as this tape really stretches the hamstrings, hips and lower back areas...

Lydia

Thanks Lydia!

No, I haven't tried yoga -- but that sounds like a great suggestion. Rodney Yee's tape sounds wonderful -- those are all the areas where I'm just always so tight no matter how diligently I try not to be. I'm going to order it and I'll let you know how I do!

By the way, y'all, it's that same spot above the knee in the back that has been painful for me, too. But I am loving this kickboxing stuff -- I'm telling you, on a knee smash (which I can execute looking relatively proper
happy.gif
) I just snarl at myself in the mirror and HAAA!!! really loud -- and man, WHAT a feeling of power! (Never mind that it's just a middle aged-mom's illusion -- it sure does feel great for a little while!)

Hi Kathy!

Just a quick note to let you know that WalMart's & Best Buy carry Rodney Yee Tapes. I THINK I may have seen them at Target & or K-Marts also if you want to check your stores before ordering. I believe they are around $10.00. Just thought you'd want to know!

DebbieH

Hi Kathy!

What an absolutely beautiful thing for you to say about me. I'm very flattered and moved by your comments. Thank you!

You are right, kickboxing just works the muscles in a whole new way than what we are used to in weight training. Its a great form of cross training. I'm still sore after every kickboxing workout. It never seems to get easier.

To improve your flexibility to enhance your kickboxing workouts, I suggest incorpoating a 15 to 20 minute stretch routine for your upper and lower body three times per week. You should do at least five minutes of stretching daily but aim for these longer stretch workouts three times per week. After your muscles have completely warmed up(after a cardio session is best), focus on stretching the quadricep, glute area, buttocks, hamstrings, hip flexors, inner and outer thighs, calves shins, and low back. You should also incorporate some stretches for the upper body too. Hold each of these stretches for about one minute. Don't force the stretch or do any form of ballistic movement. Just take a deep breath and exhale slowly while pressing down gently into the stretch. Stretch to the deepest point of your comfort zone for the first 45 seconds of the minute and then for the last 15 seconds try to gently press JUST A HAIR past that and hold for the last 15 seconds. NEVER FORCE ANYTHING!! Also, move slowly from one stretch to the next since your muscles will be tender.

Within a few weeks you should already notice some nice improvements.

Good Luck and thank you again for your sincere comments.

Kathy and Cathe

Kathy, I just read your note and I have to say I agree!! I just started w/ Cathe and did the X-press tapes first and then did the PS/MIS tapes later. I DID notice a difference- all the tapes are great and professionally done but there IS just something about the new series- Cathe's demeanor- she's in the "grove"-- it's the baby! Because I found after I had my first baby that my perspective had chaged and I just felt more confident, stronger, and the little things that used to bother me, just didn't anymore! You hit the nail on the head! Motherhood is truly awesome miracle that changes our lives in ways we never could imagine!
Elena

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.