Cathe, I've upped my weight workouts, ? though...

jackier

Cathlete
First, I too want to tell you how professional, and truly inspiring you are to me. I'm 44 and had 5 children (4 boys, gotta love them), and by your example, it makes me feel empowered that what I'm striving for is achievable. Although I hate to admit it, I thought after you had this baby, I figured you'd have the "ugly" 10lbs hanging around FOREVER. (Just like the rest of us, I mean, there's nothing you can do about that.) Boy, you proved me wrong, and made me sit up and reevaluate my goals, and the silent excuses in the back of my head. Okay, now to my question. Heavier weights, short bursts of cardio, and daily core work have made a tremondous difference in my weight, and is sculpting my body. But just when I start to only have about 5lbs to lose, and start really seeing definition in my core region, I can't seem to satisfy my hunger pains!! I eat clean, but frequently, which is sort of normal for me anyway, and there comes a point as I get closer to my goal I am STARVING!! This has happened in the past, and generally only when I really focus on weight work. Never when I'm doing alot of intense cardio. I drink alot of water, as I know that dehydration can mimic hunger. I really start to graze, and then I stop seeing the definition I was developing. Is this normal and how long does this "phase" last? Should I "work through" the hunger, or is my body really trying to tell me something? I know everyone is different, but looking for some guidance. Thanks.

Jackie

Hi Jackie! If your hungry EAT! The more muscle your body has, the more fuel it requires to maintain it. The fact that you have developed more overall muscle, your stomach now growls because it needs more food to keep the results happening. So go aheah and eat, just eat more CLEAN food. The extra calories should push your body out of the plateau phase. But be true to yourself too. Maybe you are 5 pounds heavier because of all the muscle you built. Take a good look at yourself and decide if you truly have 5 more pounds of body fat to lose. Maybe all the extra weight training has you looking exceptionally fit and strong at 5 pounds heavier, and thats not a bad thing. Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.