Cathe how much rest when you have a slight fever?

pressju

Cathlete
Hi Cathe and hope you are well. I have been running a low grade fever since Friday am, along with a head cold. Not too bad and medication helps. However, still feel a bit feverish so am bagging the cardio. Did some good yoga yesterday because I was feeling so stiff(even a head stand and a backbend with no problems - I felt like Gumby!) and plan a bit more today but the cardio thing is feeling like not a good thing.

How long do you wait when you have a fever before you work out? And what is your transition back to working out?

Hope the foot is healing!

Julie

Please don't work out with a fever. The fever is telling you that your body is too busy fighting infection to be able to give you the energy for working out. You will make yourself feel worse.

Make sure you spend at least 24 hours without fever before re-attempting cardio. Even better, stick with the yoga for a couple of days to ensure you are completely recovered before starting cardio again.

Clare

I agree with Clare. Don't add more stress to your body that is under stress from trying to fight off something. Intense exercise can actually weaken your immune system.

Stick with yoga for a while (again, Clare's suggestion is great).

You may feel 'antsy' about not being able to workout for a few days or a week, but it's better than carrying an infection around that won't go away for weeks because you don't let your immune system do its thing.

I agree with both Claire and Kathryn. When you are sick the body needs all of its energy to fight the infection from the depleted immune system. If you start working out, this healing can be comprimised. What can happen then is that the infection gets worse and a upper respiratory infection turns into a chest infection such as bronchitis.

I learnt all this the hard way when I continued to work out with a cold and as a result developed bronchitis which took over a month to clear up and two courses of antibiotics. The doctor told me that if I had carried on as I was, I would have developed phnemonia(sp)and would have had to be hospitalised.

Please look after yourself and take care and I'll say one of my fav quotes which seems suitable..."remember that fitness is a journey,and not a destination".

:)

Hi Julie,

I just learned a lesson the hard way. I was sick a few days before Christmas(couldn't really rest), then we went away for five days and the last 2 days I started to feel better, then it was New Year's more parties etc... and I started feeling sick again but didn't want to stop exercising because I wanted to start the New Year off right.

Well, my cold returned (worse) but since I didn't rest, I had an ear infection & pink eye in both eyes which finally made me rest and get better but it still took longer than it should. I think my age is catching up to me (43) when you are younger you bounce back much quicker.

Debbie

Hi Julie! I agree with everyone here. Your health needs to be your focus now. As long as you have a fever I would even consider discontinuing all forms of exercise and just rest. Let your body fight the infection without interference. Once the fever is actually gone, then mild forms of exercise (for shorter durations) would be okay as long as your cold has not gone to your chest. If it is in your chest than a longer rest is beneficial so that you don't push it even deeper into your chest.

I hope you feel better.

Thanks Cathe and everyone who replied. I am feeling better but taking it sllloooooowwwwwly back. Easy to know to rest when high fever strikes, but low grade I get confused.

It is always about listening to the body isn't it?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.