Cathe how do I get the look of a dancer?

cookiebaby

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!! You are awesome and I love your tapes. I have been using the Pure Strength Series, but I noticed that I'm getting more muscular than I want. I really want the long sculpted lean look of a dancer. I am thinking of buying CTX upper body, leaner legs, muscle endurance and the pyramid tapes. I like to have muscle endurance more than strength. Should I buy these tapes? Should I do lesser weight/more reps? Thanks for your help and Happy Holidays!!!!!! Cookiebaby

If you are looking for more muscular endurance, I would suggest getting, Leaner Legs, Power Hour, Muscle Endurance, and CTX Upper body. The very last portion of Body Max (cardio/muscle endurance tape) is all upper body with more focus on muscle endurance :)

Without trying to be a smarta$$, wouldn't the best way to get the body of a dancer be to dance and practice like a dancer?

Also, wouldn't it depend on the type of dancer you want to look like? Some of us will never be willowy like a ballet dancer, some of will always be more on the stocky side and never look like any kind of dancer.

Good luck in your goals!

Susan G., someone who likes to dance (and is actually good at it) but will never look like it

That's true about different types of dancers looking different. I was once at a workshop with one of the experts in the type of dancing I do. He told everyone to watch me because that's what everyone should dance like -- just like a compact bowling ball.

I've always had somewhat mixed feelings about that remark...

I have no personal experience with this, but I remember reading an article about your question. It basically said you can't really get a dancers body unless you're built a certain way.

For example, I'm 5' so I doubt I'll ever have a long, lean dancers body. I could do all the ballet videos in the world and never look long! Of course, posture and the way you carry yourself can make a big difference.

Another good example: my best friend is a dance major in college so she obviously takes A LOT of dance and yoga classes. She's 5'5" with an athletic build. Dancing has given her a very tight figure, but she can't change the fact that she'll never have that lean "ballerina" look. And she realizes this which can be frustrating for her.

So in answer to your question, I think it would depend on your build. That's not to say that endurance workouts or maybe ballet or yoga videos wouldn't help.

Hope this helps!

You're right. My friend had an eating disorder throughout college (still kinda does- we graduated last year). There's so much pressure to look good- and she's not even a professional yet! It was harder on her since she has a naturally muscular body. Even though she hardly eats and exercises a lot, she still looks healthy because of her build. She's great at ballet, but could never be a ballerina because of her body. Sad! I couldn't imagine having to always look good in a leotard like they do!

It's a good point you bring up though- a lot of those long, lean dancer bodies are either due to genetics or an eating disorder or both.

There was a documentary about ballerinas that I watched probably about 2 years ago. They check their bone density regularly and most of the time they are just happy if they manage to maintain it. Mostly because they expect to lose a bit per year. They get nervous right before they have to get it done. Lots of dieting lots and lots of dancing and rehearsing.

I have to say I agree with everyone's comments!
That:
a)Different forms of dance=different shapes
b)Ballet dancers may not be all healthy

My favorite "dance body" look is the dancers that have the strong thighs but small waists..it is hard to explain, I think they are more like modern dancers, like background dancers for artists...

I think ballet dancers=figure skater dancers bodies. I will NEVER have that look naturally, unless I do something to myself to make it happen you know?

I think it is great to look like you are in kick a$$ shape like Cathe more than anything! I used to want to look small and waif-ish (mid nineties heroin-chic look) but now, I am all about the toned but still feminine look!

What kind of dancer were you most interested in looking more like?
Jaime

Jaime,

You are right when you say that there are several different dancing figures; Street dancing (such as Janet Jackson or Brittany is what I would like to achieve........as you menioned, bigger thighs and that oh so enviable waist. I have always been built like a ballerina more than anything. Although I danced ballet and toe for 5 or 6 years when I was younger, I think it's more of a genetic disposition to be long and lean like that. And naturally, I am looking to change my look to the one described above.............HELP. I want bigger thighs and a tinier waist (which are on conflicting ends of the fitness scale). The waist is cardio and the legs are strength. I dont know which one to focus on more..........

There's a dance tape advertised by Darrin (something or other) showing how to dance like the hipper kind of dance; street dance. I think I may have to order that, if for no other reason, to learn how to dance like the artists of today.........Since I doubt I'll be looking like them anytime soon! 5'6" and 117.

GN

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.