Cathe--hitting the outer back...

wendyloo

Cathlete
Hi Cathe! :)

Once, when I did the arm drills from Cardio Kicks (I love that tape!), I really felt it in my lats the next day. I haven't been able to aceive that same feelings since then (I must have been really mad that day, or something!), and I'm wondering what work I can do with a barbell or dumbells that will really target the outer back; really that area right where bra-overhang is going to start if I don't cut down on the Ben and Jerry's!!

Thanks, Cathe :)
Wendy

Ahh, good ole Ben and Jerry strike again. These two SWEET men sure seem to know how to win women over, HA!

Yes, you will definitely get a great lat workout during the punching drills. Even if you are no longer sore while doing them, be sure to focus and give it EVERYTHING YOU GOT and you will certainly be working those lats.

In addition, you can do pull ups, one arm dumbell rows, and wider grip barbell rows to target these areas too.

Good Luck with everything, especially in trying to cut the ties with those two sinful guys ;-)!

I'm obviously not Cathe, but

That bit about "bra overhang" spoke to me (watched any Denise Austin lately?!) I'm in the process of getting rid of some that I picked up over the last 1 1/2 years of too sporadic exercising! One exercise I found in a magazine works the upper back and the "bra overhang area". It's probably got a fancier name, but I call it the T/Y/I raise. Get into table top position (bent forward at the hips) holding light weights (because smaller muscle groups are targeted). Do a rear delt/upper back lift first with arms to the side (T) then with arms at a 45-degree angle to the body (Y) then with arms parallel to your head (I). I like it as a posture helper, too.
By the way, how are your knees doing?

RE: I'm obviously not Cathe, but

Thanks so much Kathryn! I was going to recommend this but could not quite get the right words to describe all the changes accurately (which you have done so well). This is a great exercise and I use it in my classes alot. Also in the slow and heavy series we will do rear delt presses (shoulder tape) in a bent over position as well as double arm rows with our arms pulling upward a bit different focus (back tape). These too will help that area. Good Luck!

Thanks Cathe and Kathryn!

Ben and Jerry have been banned from visiting--they are sweet, but I think it's superficial! I always feel bad when they leave...so they are just not welcome anymore ;-) (Jello sugar free chocolate pudding is a pretty good substitute...)
I will continue to incorporate those arm drills, Cathe--I like to tack them on to my upper body work.
Kathryn--thank you so much for the description, and for asking about my knees. I'm haveing a twingy day today, but they have been doing a lot better of late. I'm keeping my toes pointed out and my feet really wide IF and when I do squats, but keeping it mostly to lunges seems to be ok!
Thanks again to both of you!!:)
Wendy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.