Cathe ? on hip fat

SunKissed

Cathlete
Hi Cathe I have a question on how to get rid of the fat around one's hips. Do I just have to really lower my body fat? That is the one area I just can't seem to whittle down. Any suggestions? Thank you! I also don't post much and would just like you to know how much of an inspiration you are. I admire you very much! Can't wait for the new series!!

Bridget

spot reducing doesn't work

Hi Cathe I have a question on how to get rid of the fat around one's hips. Do I just have to really lower my body fat? That is the one area I just can't seem to whittle down. Any suggestions? Thank you! I also don't post much and would just like you to know how much of an inspiration you are. I admire you very much! Can't wait for the new series!!

Bridget

Thanks so much Bridget :)

Regarding your hips, this is known as spot reducing and sadly it doesn't work. Unfortunately one cannot choose a specific area of the body to lose body fat, shape, and tone. And what seems even more frustrating is that our "trouble spot" seems to be the first place weight wants to settle and the last place it wants to come off. If after giving a 100% to working out and a healthy diet you still have a troble spot, chances are this is due to your genetics. But regardless of whether our situation is due to genetics or not, there are still things we can do to make the best of our "trouble spot" zones.

1) Reduce overall body fat by doing cardio activities. Cardio helps accelerate fat loss when done regularly (3 to 6 times per week) at the proper intensity.

2) Lift weights to increase lean body mass. Muscle is active tissue and requires more energy to maintain. So having more lean muscle mass means you burn more overall calories each day plus you obviously firm and shape your muscles, making them more dense in which they appear smaller.

3) Watch what you eat. This can be safely accomplished by eating 6 smaller meals per day and eating a wide variety of healthy low fat foods. Control your salt intake, drinking plenty of water, and watch your carbohydrate intake. Don't eliminate carbs, just cut back if you eat a lot.

This should help keep you on track Bridget. Take Care

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.