Cathe..help!

I just injured my foot at a step class :( . I was doing a side-step-jump combo and my foot wasn't all the way on the board and slid off the side of the board. I think it's just twisted *no popping noise, thank goodness!*.
I want to continue working out (non-impact, non-jumping) while it heals, but I honestly have never had to plan a workout routine without the cardio element. Can you give me some pointers? Another question..how can I safely ease back into stepping after it's all healed?

FitnessFanatic--
If you have access to a pool, deep water running might work well for you. Deep water running is about as non-impact as you can get, and the compression of the water against your injured foot will help keep the swelling down.

Good luck.

Hi FF!

How are you doing? Are you able to walk? Did you see a Dr. about your foot? I am just curious since it's been 3 days. I would hate to give you advice if you have a serious injury. You might want to consider keeping up with your upper body workouts (strength work) and lower body FLOOR work for the time being until you are completely healed. Do you have access to a pool? Does it hurt to put weight on your foot such as on a bike? Sorry for all the questions. I know I'm not any help to you at this point but wanted you to know I am thinking about you. I HOPE it heals real soon for you. Keep us posted.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

I had surgery on my feet twice, which required me to stay off my feet for 6 weeks at a time. During that period, I did Cathe's kickbox tapes with just the upper body ( and some kicks), and lots of modifications. It got me sweating at least, even though I wasn't at my usual exercise heartrate. Take care of your foot. Even though you feel the need to work out, repect the injury you have, and give it time to heal.

Pool option

I want to second the pool option. You could get a great cardio workout without using your lower body at all, if you wanted to. Just stick a pull buoy between your legs, and off you go.

Hope your foot heals quickly! Injuries are no fun. :-tired

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/pyth.gif Gretchen

I fractured my ankle last January. Initially I thought it was a sprain--no popping noise either. After a few days and still a lot of pain, I called my doctor who insisted on an X-ray. That's when I discovered the fracture. She said 'sprains' should always be X-rayed just to make sure. So that would be my first recommendation. I wore a cast for 2 weeks, then a boot for 8 more weeks. During that time, I only did upperbody weight work three or four times a week. Then I took about a month of doing only low impact workouts and step on the 4 inch platform. After another month of being very conservative, I gradually eased back into more and more impact and eased back into squats, lunges, etc. I am fine now. I hope this helps.

Hi Fitness Fanatic! I would like to reiterate what Lynda has said here. You really do need to get it medically evaluated first. Then while it heals, focus on upper body tapes while doing therapy exercises for your ankle (ask the doctor for these exercises). One you have the clearance to workout again, ease back in slowly on a lower step height and shorter non-impact step workouts. During this time still focus on stretching and strengthening routines for your ankle. Gradually work your way back to your regular routine. Good luck and please be patient!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.