Cathe, hand weights plus step?

melanalyus

Cathlete
Cathe,

I've been using 2-lbs hand weights with all my kickboxing workouts for about 10 years now (does that age me?). Anyway, about 6 months ago I started adding them to my step workouts. It has really increased intensity of workouts & has helped tighten and tone my shoulders & arms---which is usually my "flabby" area as I despise traditional strength training.

I've never seen handweights in any workout except kickboxing. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your time, I know you're super busy putting STS together. :)

Melanie-I'm interested in the response also. I took your idea and this morning I did Low Max with my weighted kickbox gloves. YEAH!

Gayle

Handweights

Hi Melanie! First off I really have to commend your efforts to want to work out so diligently and make full use of your time. Way to go. I love your drive! But in this instance, I have to say I don't think using hand weights is a good idea. I have to honestly say that I don't recommend using hand weights with high impact and highly choreographed step routines. This can cause you to throw your back out, pull a muscle, strain your shoulder joints, or trip and fall due to your balance being thrown off by the shift in your center of gravity. Not to mention, additional weight while jumping (say as in power 7's) can bring on shin splints, stressed ankles, knee and low back issues, etc.

It is one thing to choreograph a workout that is specifically designed to use with hand weights or weighted gloves but another when modifying "any" workout with hand weights to simply up the intensity.

Many choreographed step routines involve rapid and intricate footwork and include swift directional arm movemements. The BPM's do not account for the additional weight and thus put you in a position to flail your hand weights around unsafely and or trip on the step.

Remember, anytime you add weight to the furthest extremeties on your body you increase the intensity as well as the stress on the joint. Again, if the workout is designed to properly account for the stress loaded on the joint that's one thing, but if its not, you are putting yourself at a much greater risk for unecessary injury.

Ok, Melanie, this is not meant to lecture you, honest. I just wanted you to be aware of the risks. Ok, train safe and let's kick some butt :eek:

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. :) I don't feel lectured at all, I asked for your opinion. I would have been disappointed if you weren't honest with me.

Thanks again for your time. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.