Cathe or educated crowd - What is a firewalker?

jazz

Cathlete
Anyone, as I realize Cathe is busy "walking on fire"

Seriously, what is this? Should I be scared;)

Jazz

Good question! Although I don't know the answer to this, I just thought since you put this question out there, I'd also like to contribute another one.

What are windshield wiper exercises?

Take care Jazz, sorry for interrupting.

Janie

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all."
-My mother, Mary Cooper-

>I think the windshield wiper exercises is the bike maneuver
>for core.

I don't think so, since the bike maneuver is already listed as an exercise.

I assume firewalkers REALLY make the glutes burn! Aside from that, all I know is that they use a band wrapped around the feet while you are walking (see the photo on Cathe's blog).

I Jazz!
I'll explain it. Its kinda hard to explain (but is mre hard for your buns}()

Ok, first yuo die the band around your calves. Cathe does that, but also has the gang hold the top, you don't have to do that. That is another way to do it. My way that I learned was just tie it around yuor calves, not too tight.

Once you tied it, you wanna maintain a normal squat position with your knees bent, and behing you toes.

From here, you want to move sideways, so whatever leg is in front (depending what direction your going) you step that foot out. Now your squat it big.

Next you bring in the other leg, BUT DON'T bring it togather with the leg in front. You use your leg and butt muscle to bring it in 2 inches. So your back to the starting squat position. When you bring the leg back to the starting position, you lift it about 2 inches from the ground and bring it in 2 inches back to the starting squat position. You really use all your leg muscles and your butt to do this. Once you get it, you will move more smoothly.

Have Fun!! Your butt will be burning}( }(

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you cry with your girlfriends.
-Laurie Kuslansky-

~Adri~
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

Thanks Laurie:) Now I'm really scared.;) Seriously, I'm looking forward to this workout; I love her ab work and I find her lower body work effective.

Adri,

This sounds like it is somewhat of an adductor or abductor exercise (I can't remember which is which)? Is that right?

While we're asking questions, will someone tell me what HTH and DH stand for? Sorry, I'm a rookie!?!?

Christine

HTH means Hope That Helps and DH stands for Dear Husband and so DS means dear son, DD means dear daughter.

Wow, thanks. My guess on DH was actually right but I was clueless on the HTH. Now I can pretend that I knew all along!

Fun thread. Since Cathe.com is located just 50 yards from a Dunkin Donuts, around here DD means Dunkin Donuts. As a matter of fact I'm sitting here sipping a DD right now ;-)

Hi Marcy! The movement I am referring to when I say Windshield Wipers is lying on your back with your arms extended straight out to the the sides. With either bent or straight legs aimed toward the sky you will slowly lower your legs to the right side and then come up and slowly lower them to the left side. I have used this exercise in other workouts (and believe I referred to it as side to side torso rotations) but found that many core exercises that I do involve the side to side rotation movement. So I decided to call this move something that more accurately gives a visual of the motion.

HTH :7

Hi Jazz! Firewalkers is the name that I gave to this exercise because your gluteus medius and gluteus minimus are on fire as you walk.

Basically this exercise is a series of lateral steps performed with a resistance band around the ankles.

I wanted to include this exercise as it is a very much welcomed and needed exercise to balance out the glute workout. When we think "glutes" we mostly think gluteus maximus (the big cheeks, ha) and tend to want to focus everything right there. I find this exercise delivers great intensity to the smaller, least-focused-on areas, of the glute muscle, which nicely rounds out (literally, wink) the program.

By the way, the reason we are holding the end of the band in our hands is to keep it out of our walking path while we step laterally. I will also give a live demo of how to tie it at your ankles (so that you do not create any "band overhang" at the feet) to prevent any tripping on the band.

Hi Cathe. Thanks for the explanation. I can now visualize what windshield wipers are. Can't wait for all the new workouts.

Marcy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.