Cathe, can you help me find my hind end....????

Krista03

Cathlete
Cathe, wanted your advice on shaping my hind end. I sit all dayand am seeing my rear flatten out. Where did my butt go? What exercise can I do to purk it up and shape it up? Thank you

Not Cathe, but I had to chime in here! I recently noticed (due to hubby's remark) that in the process of losing weight I had lost a great deal of my butt (which who knew he liked so much), anyway, he asked me if I could "poof" it back out, (yeah, let me wave a magic wand over my a** right now!), but in just a matter of a few weeks, I really did change the shape of my glutes, and using ALL Cathe workouts.
I did 4 weeks of PS-SL&A 2x/week and then 3 weeks of S&H legs 2x/week, using VERY heavy weight, which for me was a 55#bb, and for dumbbell exercises like lunges, leg presses, etc., I used 15# or 20# db. The point is, use what is heavy to you in order to exhaust the muscles completely. You should be able to feel a "working soreness" I call it. Not a bad sore, but the kind of sore that lets you know you worked the muscles well! And they kind of call out to you like, "yeah, here we are, you still feel us!"
My butt has a really nice rounded and uplifted shape to it, not sure how to maintain it after I move back to endurance work? But I did succeed in building on my glutes with HEAVY lower body weight work.

Donna

p.s. Cathe: how can I maintain it if I move to 6 weeks of endurance? Will it flatten out again? Or will it stay now that I've gotten it to "poof"?(for lack of a better phrase!)

Fitness~ it's a journey, not a race!

I would love to hear Cathe's answer to this question too. I sit all day as well and long to have a "bubble butt". Cathe please give us your advice.

J.Lo will always be PUFFY

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-02 AT 06:09PM (Est)[/font][p]To puff or not to puff that is the question...whether it's nobler to be bottom heavy or almost non existent when it comes to booties...I want a HUGE, MASSIVE jean stretching bum! But genes have not been good to me!!! I can squat,lunge,leg press till my legs give but all I get is this hipless wonder...talk about narrow. Women with lowerbodies should be happy, being flat isn't much fun.

RE: J.Lo will always be PUFFY

My butsky is flat as a pancake!! Always has been I'm long waisted short legs, flat butt, apple, ectomorph! POOH.

Gotta do the best I can with I got though. I can't wait to hear Cathe on this one too

Edith

But wait!....................

I come from a family of flat butt women, and had no idea I could "puff" it up!
When I lost weight and my butt flattened, I assumed it was the natural shape of me, but over these weeks with the really heavy squating/lunges/leg presses, etc. (basically PS SL&A, S&H, MIS), it has "puffed" right up there! I've found that I do build muscle very easily when I lift heavy weights (must be a testosterone thing because I also sprout chin hair that could make an adolescent boy positively giddy!), so this may be why I didn't have to wait very long to see results, but genetically, my mom, my sister, and my aunts all have flat butts, wide butts, but flat butts!
So maybe we can "alter" genetics somewhat?

Donna

RE: But wait!....................

getnfit@38,
You give me hope all the women in my family come from the wide and flat butt club. Did you do cardio and upper body along with the leg workouts? Tell me everything - I don't want to have to resort to sitting in a mixing bowl at work (I might try it at home though)!

Smitty58............

Hi Smitty58,

Here's what I've done the past few weeks:

Weeks 1-4:

I used the PS Series, and whatever poundage I had previously used when doing that series, for upperbody, I increased the weight by 2-5# depending on the body part and previous weight used.
For lower body, I upped it 10# to make it 60#bb
(note: you have not experienced static lunges until you do them with a 60#bb~YOWZA!)

I did each upperbody video 1x/week and the lower 2x/week, and I had one additional weights day that was a total body workout and I either used MIS (which gave me 2 upperbody days and a 3rd legs day) or I did CTX upperbody (if my legs were blown out from the other 2 PS Legs workouts)
-for cardio, I did 5 days of cardio (1-Imax, 2-CTX cardio,1-kickboxing, 1-low impact)
I plug in the CTX cardios before both PS upper body videos, and save the longer cardios for non-weight days.
It's my belief that by increasing the weight to what was maximum for me is what brought about the quick results. I realized I wasn't reaching failure with my previous weight loads, I'd feel the burn, even feel the muscle fatique, but I still had a rep or two left in me, but once I increased the weights drastically, I was shaking like a leaf getting the last few reps out!

Weeks 5-present:

I switched from using PS Series to S&H, same concept with using the heaviest weight possible to completely exhaust the muscle you're working. If you are using the absolute heaviest weight possible for you THIS IS THE MOST INCREDIBLY HARD WORKOUT IN THE WORLD!
My cardio dropped to 3x/week, I don't do cardio on S&H days, using the maximum weight I can handle completely wipes me out! I actually need the entire rest of the day to recover! So each cardio day is a full 60min cardio, and an intense one! I've been doing 1-Imax, 1-kickboxing, 1-high intensity step or hi-lo of choice.

I noticed (or I should say hubby noticed)the shape change around the 4th week, just prior to starting S&H. I actually felt the change first when my pants fit tighter initially, but it didn't occur to me what it was until my husband actually said, "babe, your a@@ looks great!)(kind of tacky I know, but after 10 years of marriage you kind of appreciate that kind of neanderthal expression!)

So,in the nutshell, I just took it to the heaviest degree I could, and some days I have to set the weight down early because I blow out and have to drop down, but after each workout I can feel the work in my muscle, which lets me know I've been shortchanging myself for a long time! But heavy weight worked for my rear, and it really tightened my thighs also!

Donna

RE: But wait!....................

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-02 AT 10:13AM (Est)[/font][p]This thread has made me smile. You are all so funny. I have to say I have a bubble butt. I always have and I sit all day also. I'm a medical transcriptionist. Neither my mom nor my sister has a bubble butt, but I think my dad kind of does. He has a little biddy butt, but it does stick out and everyone says I'm built like him. For a while I would say I had a definite shelf back there, but I've finally gotten it a little smaller with the help of leg presses. I do like having a bubble butt, but not having a shelf. I really have no information to offer about getting a bubble butt as I've pretty much always had one. The bad news, I also have big legs.

I also wanted to add that even though I'm kind of curvy, I do lift as heavy as I can when doing any kind of weight work, even the lower body. I never worry about bulking up. I go as heavy as I feel I can handle and have never gotten bigger.

RE: J.Lo will always be PUFFY

I guess I should consider myself lucky?! I have a round bottom to be sure. My husband thinks its cute. The more I try to shrink it the rounder she becomes! I told him last week I'm glad there's a woman like J-Lo around to help me feel good about my bum!
I have been doing Cathe's Power Hour, Leaner Legs, and Body Max and MIS for the past few months and have noticed it get very firm! I just did Leaner Legs this morning and man oh man does it work!
Best of luck rounding out! ;-) Susan

This thread made me laugh. I, too, come from the wide, flat butt category. And it's gotten worse with age. Can religiously doing Cathe workouts defy gravity on the aged?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.