Cathe or anyone -- 2 lb thumb hook wrist weights??

TarHeelMom

Cathlete
Hi Cathe! I know you're waist deep (or deeper!) in STS editing (THANK YOU for the AWESOME YouTube clips, by the way! :D) -- so this question is for you, if you have a moment, or for any of the EC who might know the answer. ;)

I like your idea of using my lifting gloves to add a little incremental weight to my lifting, so I was all set to buy some weighted gloves from the new FBC line with part of my wonderful Cathe Gift Cards from the Road Trippers (thank you thank you thank you again, Trippers!!!:D). But then I noticed that you have two different types of 2-lb weighted gloves available right now.

These look like they're the weighted gloves that y'all wear in STS:

121419-2.jpg

and listed in the "WALKING" section you have these 2 lb thumb hook wrist weights:
1222401-2.jpg

I imagine they're intended for different uses. What IS the best purpose for each type of glove? Would the thumb hook wrist weights be something you'd use more for kickboxing, for example? Would either one work to add a little incremental weight to my lifting?

Thanks so much!! (((HUG)))!!

Hi Kathy! At first I thought I had an answer since I have a pair of thumb hook weights but I don't have the weighted gloves used in STS so now I would love to know the answer to your question! I'm wondering if it's a matter of comfort and weight distribution. The thumb hook gloves put the weight around the wrist whereas the other gloves appear to have the weight centered at the top of the hand. I don't know if that helps you though!Tracy

I have a set of the thumb hook weights (I got them for kickboxing) and I HATE them. They're difficult to put on tightly enough so that the weight isn't flopping around. I've started putting the thumbhook over my middle finger to get the weight in a better place (for me).

Bottom line - if you're not going to be doing rapid movements w/ your arms, the thumbhook ones are fine. If you're not sure, I'd go w/ the other type. Just my opinion!:D

I have a set of the thumb hook weights (I got them for kickboxing) and I HATE them. They're difficult to put on tightly enough so that the weight isn't flopping around. I've started putting the thumbhook over my middle finger to get the weight in a better place (for me).

Bottom line - if you're not going to be doing rapid movements w/ your arms, the thumbhook ones are fine. If you're not sure, I'd go w/ the other type. Just my opinion!:D

Not Cathe but.....DITTO for me on above post. I have a pair that have sat on the shelf for 4 years.... uncomfortable while lifting, too much movement (& they are an extra small).... I'm sure they work for some people but not me....or at least not the brand I bought.

I tried some Nike thumb hook weights and also didn't like them. They were uncomfortable and I didn't really understand what the advantage of the thumb hook was.

I read an online article (wish I could find it but it seems to have disappeared) that said gloves w/the weight on top (or back, depending on how you look at it :p) are best for kickboxing. It explained why & made a lot of sense, but unfortunately my tired old brain didn't retain all the facts. :confused:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.