Cathe or Anybody: What makes this move so challenging?

Biteset

Cathlete
Here's what's challenging for me: Straightening a bent leg while holding it up so that the thigh is parallel to the floor. It feels like my quads simply cannot fully straighten my leg, unless I try REALLY hard, with a bit of momentum, and even then I can only do it once.

I'm puzzled. If I support the weight of my raised bent leg with my hands, then I can straighten it just fine. Once I take the support away, my quads complain like crazy. What in the world?

Which muscles hold the thigh up in a position parallel to the floor? Is this a hip flexor issue? Is it quads and hip flexors together?

BTW, it's the Kick Max leg conditioning drills that have me asking questions about this. (also, I believe the same sort of challenge comes up in MIC doing straight leg kicks, whatever those are called).

Thanks, anybody,

Gisela

I'm not Cathe, but you may not want to straighten the leg all the way anyway. This leads to knee problems in a lot of people. Straighten the leg, but not completely.

That's a good point! I should clarify that I'm not talking about trying to lock my knee. Just trying to bring my leg to full extension, I guess, which is easy to do if I'm sitting on a chair. Once I'm holding my leg up, it's like my range of motion for the extension is just really curtailed.

RE: Cathe or Anybody: What makes this move so challeng...

http://www.easyvigour.net.nz/fitness/h_hip_flexorstretch.htm

The hip flexor group (illipsoas, illiacus, rectus femoris...) works together to stabalize the hip, maintain balance and to extend the thigh at the hip. Strong hip flexors allow you to extend your thigh while maintaining a neutral spine (no rearing back to get momentum). The quadriceps (vastus lateralis, medialis, intermedius and rectus femoris) extend the lower leg at the knee. Of the quadriceps group rectus femoris is the only one that crosses both the hip and knee. When you support your leg with your hands and then extend the lower leg it is primarily rectus femoris working. The work required by the hip flexors to stabalize your pelvis and maintain balance is minimized, now take the hand away and, whoa....hip flexors are working hard. Is this clear as mud:D Hope it helps.

Take Care
Laurie:)

Thanks Laurie--that's the kind of info I was curious to find out.

BTW, now I feel really silly! I did Legs & Glutes for the first time this morning, and lo and behold--the move I wrote this thread about is one of the moves in this workout. Here I thought it was some obscure thing...

Gisela

You're very welcome Gisela:) Legs & Glutes is a wonderful workout with some fun }( and very effective standing/floor work to strengthen your hip flexors. I use the move you described when teaching balance work in yoga classes....it takes tremendous core and hip flexor strength to keep the leg and back long. L&G is sure to help:) Enjoy your new workout!

Take Care
Laurie:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.