Cardio- can it stunt muscle building?

Hey Cathe,
I'm glad to hear that your recovery is going successfully and I can't wait for the new workouts! I'm getting Drill Max & Body Max2.

I was reading a magazine at the gym (can't remember which one it was:() but it said something about too much cardio isn't as good for bodybuilders. I was just curious if this is true. I like building muscle, and think I look good muscle wise for being a teen. I seem to like to do cardio (step & elliptical) but I don't want it ot interfere with my muscle building. Since I know your an expert, I definatley trust your two cents on this!

Thanks for your help & take care,

~Adri;-)

Hi, Adri. I'm not Cathe but am a figure competitor with some experience in this area. When I've trained for contests in the past, I've upped my cardio as the contest neared in an attempt to lean out. If I wasn't maintaining the proper amount of protein/carbs in my diet when I increased the amount of cardio, my body began to eat my muscle as fuel. I went "catabolic". So, when the contest date came I ended up looking skinny which wasn't what I or the judges wanted. Now I know that even though I have to cut calories and up the cardio to drop the weight, I also know that there is a definite balancing act involved. There is no one formula for us all. I'm still in the process of experimenting. It's wonderful that you have developed such a healthy lifestyle at your age. Remember that proper nutrition is a major...MAJOR part of the equation. You can't operate at your fullest potential or look your absolute best without the right amount/type of fuel.

I hope any of this helps. I know you'd rather hear from Cathe. I'll keep checking the forum to see what you hear from her. Happy hoisting!!!

Thanks Deena! I apprciate your quick reply. I definaly cut back on my cardio to only a few times a week, but wiht gymnastics, that counts as like a TON of cardio:7. So when I go to the gym, or do Cathe workouts, I really focus on pure muscle conditioning and building. But I also absolutley LOVE step, so I love doing that for my carido. I really appreciate your advice, even though I wanted Cathe opinion because looks great for what she does, but from what you said, I bet you look fabulous too:)

Thank you,

~Adri;-)
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

You may want to post this in the open discussion where many other people may have a chance to read and respond. I bet you'll get some good feedback. Also, talk with your doctor about this, as well as a trainer and/or other certified, experienced professional (Someone with certification, experience, and education in this field).

Good luck finding your answers. :)

>You may want to post this in the open discussion where many
>other people may have a chance to read and respond.

Yes, please do so!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.