cardio before weights?

getnfit@38

Cathlete
Yesterday I read in a fitness magazine that you SHOULD NOT do cardio prior to weights, something about decreasing the anerobic benefits? But I've always done my cardio first, it actually makes me feel pumped for the weight training. And more importantly, Cathe, after one of your weight tapes I am WIPED OUT! I can't even imagine finishing an hour of weights and then jumping up and down for joy over aerobics~clearly they jest?
Am I having a less effective workout by doing the cardio first? I don't want to waste time with an ineffective workout, but then I go back to the one thing that stands out to me whenever you post a response, "find what works for you" and cardio/weights combo has successfully dropped 100lbs from my frame thus far.
So: cardio/weights or weights/cardio?
Thanks, Donna

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-12-01 AT 11:54AM (Est)[/font][p]Thanks for the question and, Veronica, thanks for the answer. I was also wondering about this. Robin.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-01 AT 08:52PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi, Donna! I'm not Cathe, but I am the gal with the bad feet that you asked about recently. How are you?

I did a search, and on July 5, 2000 Cathe said the following when asked about cardio before weights:

"We actually had this question come up not too long ago but I can't seem to locate it.
My feeling is that you really just need to do what works for you. I have tried both methods and didn't notice any difference(but thats not to say that if someone else tried it, they wouldn't either).

I think that if it was a proven scientific fact that there was a specific way to do this(to gain the most positive results), by now it would not still be floating around as theory. What I always tell people is that if you hear something that you are curious about, go ahead and give it a try. If it works, great, if you don't notice a difference, thats ok too. But at least you'll know it didn't work for you.

I personally have noticed that when it comes to exercising, most people give it their all for about 45 minutes. After that their energy starts to slow down. So if you are going to do both cardio and weight training in the same session, do the one that you want to focus on the most first. Just a suggestion! " End of Cathe quote.

I copied Cathe's answer from that post because I didn't know how to insert the link in my response that would take you there.

I also like to do cardio before weights, well, back when I COULD do cardio.:) I had heard the same thing you heard, and tried to do weights first, but I hated it. So, I went back to cardio first.

Hope this helps!

Veronica

Hi Donna! Please read Val's response here, she pulled up my post from the past which addresses your question (thanks Val). Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.