Calves

Well, you may not be able to do this, and it may sound crazy to you, but when I did a kettlebell workout last week with heavy bells my calves were very sore!!!

-Beth

Beth, can I ask what exercises you did with the kettlebell that you think may have worked your calves. I suffer from perpetually puny calves and am always looking for a new way to work them. Thanks!:)

You know what? It was just swings, and I think what really fried the calves was doing two-handed swings with heavy bells -- I think it was 35 and 44 pounders. Because it was heavier than I am used to (and I'm pretty new to kettlebells, so "used to" is relative!), I had to really concentrate on making the work come from my legs, and I think that did it! I was working out with a trainer, so not using my own bells.

-Beth

Thanks, Beth!

I'm pretty *new* to kettlebells too so I usually go light even in exercises where I could go heavier so that I can really focus on my form. Right now I use 9lbs for swings. Maybe I'll try some swings with a heavier KB(although my heaviest is 26lbs...way to go on the 35 and 44lbs! :)) and see what happens.

Thanks again!

I remember doing one of Cathe's leg workouts (Gym Style Legs I think) but whatever it was, the endless calf raises gave me DOMS for over a week! Now whenever I see those coming I RUN, not walk, the other way! I don't know of any other calf-specific workouts either, but would love to know if there are any as well...

I remember doing one of Cathe's leg workouts (Gym Style Legs I think) but whatever it was, the endless calf raises gave me DOMS for over a week! Now whenever I see those coming I RUN, not walk, the other way! I don't know of any other calf-specific workouts either, but would love to know if there are any as well...

ME TOO! Did GS Legs on Sunday - legs feel recovered, calves .... not so much!

When I was bodybuilding I needed to "beef up" my calves and bought these sneakers with disks on the toes (I think basketball players used to train with them to jump higher)... and I would do calves in them, walk around in them as much as possible and run on the treadmill/walk on treadmill with them... they FORCED you to walk around on your toes and I did notice a difference in my calves... I just can't remember what they were called. The other option is just walk around on tippy toes alot ... my sister has dones this since she was a child and she has SOFTBALLS in her calves.

Are there any other exercises besides calve raises to build up the calves that do not involve machines? Thanks.

Calf shape and development has a lot to do with genetics. You can do exercises to develop a little more volume and nice definition of your existing calf shape but you cannot change the shape of the calf from a long bellied calf muscle to a short bellied calf muscle or vice versa.

Some good calf burners....

Jump rope
Lower body plyometrics
High intensity stepping (or stair climbing)
Walking briskly for 30 minutes in the sand with barefeet

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.