Calf Muscles Soreness

2workout

Cathe, this is my first "Ask Cathe" question
happy.gif
I have been a lurker and fan for several years. I absolutely love your tapes, and I have improved my cardio fitness since doing your tapes. Even though I am choreographically challenged, due to your excellant cueing I can now do the tapes that I own from your collection
happy.gif

I need some advice on how to strengthen my calf muscles. I exercise 6 days a week and I increased my cardio to 5 days a week instead of three days a week. I have MSB, IM, MIS, MIC, WT, PS Series, and all of your new tapes. Prior to using your tapes I used to exercise to the Firm's cardio tapes. Their tapes are not as intense or high impact as your tapes.

My problem is my calf muscles are sore when I do the high impact portion of your tapes. Although cardiovascularly I can keep exercising, but due to the the soreness in my calf muscles I bring down the impact.

Currently I do one of your step tapes or cardio tapes (60 mins) in the am and in the evening I do one of the PS Series. I also do MIS one day a week.

I would also welcome any advice from the others because you all give very sound advice. Thanks in advance.

Terri

__0
_\<,_
(_)/ (_)

Hi Terri!

Nice to have you post here. Actually it sounds like your calf soreness could be related to doing too much too soon. I know when I'm guilty of doing this, my calf muscles get so tight I can barely walk normally for a day following the workout.

Ease up on the impact and work into it gradually. Also, stretch and strengthen your calves two days a week separately. Start by marching in place for about 2 minutes, then do 30 seconds worth of toe taps per leg(this will help strengthen the tibialis anterior, the muscle that opposes the calf). Then simply do (3 sets of 25) calf raises with no weight. Then do 2 sets of one legged calf raises with or without a weight(25 reps without weight or 16 reps with a weight). Then when you are finished be sure to stretch the calf muscle out thoroughly. Hold your stretches for about 15 to 20 seconds per stretch. Thats it!

Good luck and take care!

Thanks Cathe!!

I will start this week with the exercises. Just to let you know I am in tape heaven, and I love everyone of the new tapes. I look forward to working out in the morrning. (Did I say that?)
happy.gif

Thanks again,

Terri

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.