Bunions?

F

fitmom

I have had bunions (sp?) on my feet since I can remember. Over the past few years, they've really grown (I know this is gross....sorry) and now they've become painful. They really affect my workouts now and that just makes me mad!! Plus, I can just be sitting and watching TV and all of the sudden get an awful shooting throbbing pain.

My question is, what (if anything) can be done about this? It's getting to the point that I'm afraid to do certain moves during my workouts because I know it's going to hurt. Besides being downright ugly, I just want my feet back.

Thanks
Alli
happy.gif

me,too

I'm at the point now where I have decided to have the surgery in January when it's bad out and I can't ride my horse as often anyway. I (and you) will need to bite the bullet for several weeks and concentrate on upper body, abs, and pilates work--no cardio--not even yoga because there are too many balancing postures related to foot strength. But, you cheered me up because I have been spacing out the high impact lately not because of heart rate, knees or strength--but because of the stupid bunion!! But we gotta fix this because this is one thing that will not get better by itself. Murph

Thanks for making me feel like I'm not alone!

Do you know what is involved in the surgery? I have no idea what they do. I was really hoping somebody would say that they had the surgery and were down for a day but, got right back up into their workouts the day after. No such luck huh? I noticed today during my workout that I'm curling my feet in (or at least attempting to) when I move during the higher impact moves to keep from hurting my bunions. The result of this is my arches are killing me.

I'm glad I cheered you up though. I wish we could just wave a magic wand and just have them gone and get back to our workouts full speed.

Thanks for replying to this post!!

Alli
happy.gif

I've had surgery on both feet-

not at the same time, however. There was a recent thread on this subject over at the Video Fitness forum and responses were varied. For some it was a breeze but others would never do it again. A lot seemed to depend on the doctor and how much work had to be done to fix the problem. For most recovery seemed to take about 3-6 weeks and then, for some, a while longer to be able to wear "normal" shoes. The best thing to do is talk to a podiatrist or orthopedic surgeon. There are different "levels" of surgery depending on how bad the bunion is and what, if any, measures are needed to correct the toe alignment. I had my surgery about 6 and 7 years ago and I would definitely do it again, although complete recovery took a long time for me. It was getting very hard to walk anywhere or work out with bunions and, like was said, they only get worse with time. Good luck with whatever you decide to do! But I don't think you will regret getting them fixed in the long run. Hope this was helpful.

Thanks!!

That helped so much. I sure do dread the 3-6 weeks recovery though.

Thanks again
Alli
happy.gif

I knew it...

this is an isolated topic, i know, but a really important one. It has gotten to the point where I have to plot outfits that will match the few pair of shoes I can wear travelling anymore...and I travel, quite a bit for my job. I'm going to really research who is best to do the surgery. Thx.

I'd be interested

...in what you find out in general. I went over to VF and searched through their posts. It really scared me how a couple of them had so many problems. I've always heard it was a simple procedure but, apparently not. I'm really scared to mess up my feet but, at the same time, it's not like I'm going to have too much of choice either.

Alli
happy.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.