Bulky vs. Lean muscle

Annie973

I know they say it is hard for a woman to "bulk" up due to the lack of progesterone however I was wondering how to stay as lean as possible with doing Cathe's videos. I want to build muscle without looking too muscular. Should I keep my weights on the low end? Should I incorporate a lot of yoga or pilates? Any suggestions would be great!

not cathe here, but as a frame of reference what is your idea of bulky versus lean? If your idea of lean is Nicole Richie, well you might not want to lift heavy. But, in order to build muscle tone, you gotta lift the weight Annie. It's the only way you will see progress. Lots of people mistake fat bulk for muscle bulk. Muscle is much denser, takes up less space than fat and improves your metabolism and gives you a nice physique. Don't be afraid of the weight.

Don't want to speak for Annie, but when I ask myself what I consider to be "lean" vs. a little more muscular or bulky is looking at Cathe's look over the years. When I think lean, I think of the way she looked in the Body Blast series (what I wouldn't give to have that physique!!), while she's much more muscular in the STS series.

Please understand I think she looks BEAUTIFUL both ways, but objectively speaking, it's pretty clear there's a difference in her physique, and for my personal body type, I think the leaner look would look better on me than the muscular look.

I definitely don't think the waif look is for me LOL; I love having defined muscles. But I do think there's a continuum in musculature, and I'd prefer to be on one side of the continuum vs. the other.

(I feel I must repeat before I get misunderstood: I think Cathe is beautiful either way, and I love that whichever we choose, we're strong and powerful)

I would recommend staying with the higher rep workouts (15 or more reps/set) for endurance, or lower rep workouts (Slow and Heavy) for strength (hypertrophy routines are often in the 8-12 rep range). Also, add enough cardio to burn some of the calories that could go to muscle growth.

Another thing to keep in mind, as Gunner Peterson says "you have to eat big to get big," so keeping your calories the same (rather than increasing) will help keep the muscle down.

I know they say it is hard for a woman to "bulk" up due to the lack of progesterone ...

Women have progesterone, it's lack of testosterone.

[quote:Lots of people mistake fat bulk for muscle bulk. Muscle is much denser, takes up less space than fat and improves your metabolism and gives you a nice physique. [/quote]

Yep, I think people mistake an increase in size due to muscle, when really the fat is still there on top.

Yep, I think people mistake an increase in size due to muscle, when really the fat is still there on top.

I don't think that's the case with Cathe :). With me, yes (stubborn fat!!!), but Cathe and body fat just don't seem to go together in the same sentence *hee*.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.