Bodyfat vs Muscle Question

S

srmohler

Hi Cathe,

I know you are very busy with the new videos and studio, but I don't know who else might have an answer for this question.

I am tall and thin looking, but my torso is covered with bodyfat. I am 5'9" and weigh 130 pounds (about the most I've weighed outside of pregnancy). I have very little muscle (although much more than I used to), and a layer of fat from about my armpits to my hipbones. It hangs over my bra, bathing suit, jeans, whatever. My hips/legs/arms are leaner than my middle. Of your background exercisers, my figure most resembles Rhonda's, with a bunch of blubber around the middle, and narrower shoulders.

I am 41 years old, so maybe it's too late for me :). I have been working out for 8 years! I have been doing your cardio, MIS, PS series and now the CTX series for a couple of years now, and see a bit of improvement in muscle, but I'm still very skinny. I'm scared to lose any fat, because my muscle/bone structure is puney, and I'd look terrible, I believe.

I've been working each body part once a week, doing abs 3-4 times a week, and doing cardio 4 times a week. I decided last week to start doing each body part twice a week while reducing the cardio to 3 times a week, hoping I could build more muscle that way.

I use fairly heavy weights, such as a 40 lb barbell on PS lower body, chest and back, with a 30 lb barbell for biceps and triceps (the shoulders are a real struggle for me; I can barely lift 12 lb dumbbells with military presses). I have slowly worked up to these weights, with not much growth at all.

I eat about 2000 calories a day, so I'm definitely not starving, but if I eat less, I start to lose weight. I don't want to be any skinnier. I try to not eat fatty foods (I do cheat with fries and sweets once in a while), and have upped my protein intake a little bit.

What I'd really like to do is widen my torso, legs and arms with muscle; not fat! I know a lot of it is genetic, but there has to be something I can do to help build more muscle.

Any suggestions for modifying my workouts? I keep thinking I should do less cardio, but I figure 3 times a week is low enough.

By the way, I LOVE your workouts. They are the absolute best. I can't wait for the new DVD's!

Thanks so much,

Sandi M.

Hi Sandi!

I sure hope someone will answer your questions! I am sort of in the same boat.:) I have a hard time gaining and it's tough trying to consume the number of calories necessary to gain lean body mass! :( If I don't eat enough, the weight starts falling off of me too! I'm 5'3" and weigh 105 lbs. I was heavier at 113 lbs. until I did a 4 week rotation that brought me down to 105. And believe me I wasn't trying to lose weight at all! I have more muscle definition but I would love to get and maintain a weight of at least 110 lbs without struggling to keep it on. It seems as soon as I start gaining something happens and the weight comes right off! It's so frustrating!

I love cardio so it's hard to do fewer than 3 workouts per week. I do tend to do more weight training (not lately though, all of my workouts are suffering). But the good news is I'm holding at the 105 mark!

I hope you get some replies soon! I'm very interested in reading them too!

Good Luck!
Angie

I just wanted to say to everyone reading this post that this really proves that EVERY BODY IS DIFFERENT. It's hard for me to think that we are all really that different, but I know the weight doesn't just fall off of me. And I have the hardest time building muscle it seems. Reading this really hits home. I don't know where I'm going with this, but I just hate to see people be too hard on themselves, because they don't look like their role model. Be the best you! Sorry I don't have an answer!

Andrea

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.