Body for Life

Sorry to jump in here but I use the BFL plan to determine my workouts ever since I competed last year. I love the program because it teaches you to train hard and have a life too! I am competing again and using Cathe's videos for the weight-training. BFL pushed me out of my comfort zone, something that I've discovered Cathe does as well!! I used to run 6 miles/day but always at a comfortable pace. Now I run intervals and have become a much better runner. The nutrition plan also teaches good food choices that one can do for life. All the best,
Shara :)

Hi,
I was going through this book and wanted to ask someone who has tried the program...I know that intervals are thought to be a better way to get your cardio done, but will his program actually get rid of fat? Or is it the combination of his diet program? Is that honestly enough food? Could I get results without supplements? The website claims you could, but I want a real answer considering those EAS supplements are highly recommended by all the participants at the site...plus, 20 minutes of cardio? Come on!

Hope you don't mind me butting in here but I had to "weigh in" (pun intended) on the BFL/supplement issue.

I did my first BFL transformation 2 years ago with NO SUPPLEMENTS (other than Myoplex Lite which is a protein shake) - just clean eating, strength training, and cardio. I did more than 20 minutes of cardio though (30-40) because I don't have a treadmill, stepper, etc. and jogging outdoors during the winter months in Wisconsin (early a.m. at that!) was out of the question. (I hadn't discovered Cathe step tapes yet either.)

Before I began my transformation, I had really let myself slide. After going back to work full-time with 2 kids, I found more and more excuses not to exercise. And my eating was not too healthy either. So I guess you could say I was pretty out of shape at the time I began BFL. I don't know what kind of shape you're starting in but for someone like me who wasn't exercising on a regular basis or watching their diet, no supplements were needed to see good results. I lost 21 pounds and toned up my entire body.

Sue

Just to add in my opinion on the 20 mins. of cardio......before I start the 20 mins. of intervals, I warm up for a mile (running easy). Then I get into the various levels of exertion, from 5 being easy to the high-point 10 which is brutally hard!! Afterwards, I take it down really slowly to get my heart back to normal. The entire process takes only about 30 mins. total and it's an extremely tough workout if you are pushing yourself. These runs are by far my hardest runs, moreso than my 10 milers done at a comfortable pace. I do the interval runs 3 times/week and throw in 3 other run days of easy but long (because I want to become a better runner). This program definitely gets off body fat. I use protein supplements but only once/day. I find my body recovers faster and I don't get sick as often as I used to. The nutrition part of the plan is terrific, too, because you can eat 6 times/day. When you know you'll be eating again in only a couple of hours, it's easier not to take that second helping of food. I have lost body fat and have a lot more muscle tone than before. I have recently discovered Cathe which is yet another way to push my body beyond the comfort zone!!! All the best.....this program scores very high with me!!
Shara

RE: Re: Body for Life

I am currently a Body For Life Competitor, and I have lost 10 pounds so far. (And to be brutally honest with you, I haven't followed the plan real strict - I was sick one week, I lost motivation one week early on, now I'm getting ready to go on vacation next week!) SO I definitely have to say this plan works. If you do the main things he says, I don't see how you can fail. (BTW, my main problem has been doing the exercise, not the eating.) Remember, you get a portion of protein, carbs as well as a salad and side of vegetables if you want it. Thats alot of food when you only have two hours to wait for the next meal! And as far as using supplements, I drink the Myoplex shakes that were mentioned. I try to do these during the day (2 of them) and then one in early evening (Its like having a milkshake for an evening snack, only it's good for you!) I really believe in this program, and I haven't been the best example -but I think it shows that I'm human, and I'm still seeing results!! That makes me excited, because I know I can do even better!
I bought the audio tape, which was much cheaper than buying the book (if you don't need the exercise illustrations). Since you have Cathe's tapes, this may be something to consider. He is a very inspirational speaker, and I think that helped me get started. Hope this helps.
Tricia

I've done BFL twice without finishing...bad timing (holidays) on my part, not the plan itself. Started again (this ismy 2nd week). My husband and I have concluded that it MIGHT be a better plan for people who haven't been working out already. We've both been lifting and doing cardio for years and we don't seem to see the results that other people do. Granted. we've never gone the full 12 wks. This time we will. Anyway, the free day is what makes it great as far as I'm concerned! To know that every 6 days you can eat anything you want makes it very doable. I'm an aerobics instructor so the cardio goes right out the window...don't have much control over that although I teach spinning twice a week so I try to make that more intervals. Luckily I only teach cardio 3 times a week. As for the weights I am now as of yesterday teaching a Body Pump class in addition to my 3 days of weight lifting. Don't know how that is going to affect things. I've also substituted Scott Connelly's Body Rx weight lifting plan for BFLs.....I liked it better. We'll see what happens!

Hi

I only have one question, what is body for life? And where do I find it, it sounds interesting, something I could benefit from thanks.

Trese

Sue...

I was just wondering how often you ran, was it only 3x a week like the book suggests? I have been working out regularly for years, but let my self go this past summer, so I am trying the bfl plan to get me back in shape. Although I have to say that the cardio for only 3 days is kind of hard to believe. Oh, and how long did it take you to lose the 21 pounds??
Thanks,
jennifer

RE: Sue...

Jennifer-

Sorry I wasn't specific about "what" cardio I did while I was on the BFL plan. I did various non-Cathe step and hi/lo video tapes (Sorry, Cathe but I hadn't found out about you yet!) 3 times a week, first thing in the morning on an empty stomach just as the book says. For me, 3 times a week of cardio was sufficient but remember that I was really out of shape before beginning my transformation so my body responded quickly. I didn't do cardio on a regular basis at all and hadn't lifted any weights for years - and never anything heavy.

I lost 17 pounds with my first 12 week program. I took a week off and began another 12 week progam during which time I lost 4 more pounds. So, it took me about 6 months to lose the 21 pounds but I added more muscle also during the 2nd 12 week program.

The amazing thing for me was that I lost 11 pounds after the first 4 weeks of program #1. I took my picture at that point. I didn't have a true "before" picture because I didn't want to poise for one. My body was too gross and I was really disgusted with myself.

When I compare that 4 week picture to my 12 week "after" picture, it's amazing that I only lost 6 more pounds in that 8 week time period because my body looked totally different. It had to be the weights that reshaped my body. It also proves that you can't rely on the scale to show the whole picture of your fat loss.

Good luck to you!

Sue

RE: Sue...

Thanks for your reply...and congratulations on your success!!!

Jennifer

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.