Biceps w/ barbells

helen

Hi Cathe and everyone,
This is the first time I have posted anything on this site, but I've been reading everyday for about six months. I think its great. My question is I have a hard time doing bicep work with a barbell. I can lift heavier with dumbells. Is there an advantage with the barbell and will I get more developement? I am really trying to build up my upper body to even me out. Thanks for any input.

I'm not Cathe, but...

...I didn't want you to feel ignored or unwelcome! I'll just fill in some space here until Cathe comes along, okay?

As for the barbell thing: There are many different exercises that develop the biceps. As long as you pay close attention to form, use the ones you find most effective and comfortable.

I use a curl bar for biceps, but since most curl bars are designed for men, the grips are just a tad wide for me. Those crazy-8s in MIS are killers, and I tend to remember them with trepidation.

I really prefer dumbbell exercises, partly because it's easier to step down the weights if I need to in the middle of the routine, and also I like the variety of exercises: alternating single-arm curls, hammer curls, concentration curls, etc.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. The barbell I am using is a
curl bar, so maybe it is too wide for me. As long
a I can still get results from dumbbells I might
stick with those. Thanks again Helen

Hi Helen!

Actually using both a barbell and dumbells to do curls will give you the best results. Each piece of equipment provides different challenges based on hand grips and variety of movement styles.

I noticed that you posted that you are using a curl bar for your curls. That could be why you are having a hard time. While curl bars have their advantages for some exercises, they can be uncomfortable for others. If at all possible, try using a traditional non-curved barbell for your workouts since this type of bar will be more adaptable to the majority of your overall exercises(upper and lower body).

One more thing

Cathe, I just wanted to say your tapes are
excellent. I was an avid Firm user(I had all
from the very beginning) until I started with
your tapes. Yours are so much fun and produce
results quickly. I like your style of teaching.
Plus this sight is great also. Thanks Helen

Thanks Helen!

happy.gif
!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.