Best workout for hip problems?

tneah

Cathlete
Hi,

New to this forum and site, but not to Cathe's workout videos-nothing like them on the market-love them.
Anyway, I have been diagnosed with bone spurs and arthritis in my right hip--they say its overuse,and genetics and want to replace it. No way.
I am a former bodybuilder and have worked out consistently for the past 10 years and now have to modify everything I do. I love the high intensity videos like Kickmax, but now I cannot jump or even use the step too much, the rest of the day I limp if I do! So which workout videos would you suggest I get, I thought maybe there was one that I had not purchased yet that might be lower impact but just as hard.

Thanks so much,

Tneah

Not CAthe, but I also have trouble with hip and back problems. Have you tried the low impact version (premix) of kickmax and lomax? So far those have not caused me significant problems. I also do Karen Voight Pilates for back and abs when I can't do anything else or when I feel a twinge in my back. When things feel better I start out slowly with the other workouts.
Good luck, I know it is frustrating to have to work around issues.

http://www.picturetrail.com/luckeelaydee

Paula

tneah,

Having gone through hip replacement surgery in November '05 and had a wonderful recovery, I can't imagine your reluctance to the procedure. I had the conditions you described for 5 years and was begging the doctor to do something. When I got to the point that I had to swing my whole pelvis to walk, he agreed it was time for a replacement.

I wish I had done it sooner. The worst part of recovery was erasing all of the bad habits I developed coping with the bad hip for 5 years.

Dave

Hi LuckyLadee and Dave,

Thanks for your speedy response,wow. I will check out that workout combo and see if it works.
I just turned 40 and have heard that the failure rate is high in people under 55 or something like that. Also, isn't it true that you cannot lift weights-anything over 25 pounds, and things like squats and lunges are out for good? As it is, I have stopped running, even walking long distances kills.I have tried all the supplements and Celebrex which really does not work for me.
My workouts are an important part of my life and cannot imagine leaving alot of that behind-along with the heels I love to wear!
:) I am happy that your recovery was a success and you are now living pain free, hey what Cathe workouts do you do now Dave?

Thanks again to you both,

tneah,

I, also, have been diagnosed with bone spurs and advanced arthritis in my left hip. The doctor told me that it must have bben from an accident, for my right hip is perfect. Unlike you though, I do not experience any pain with this. This doctor told me it is because I am so active that it doesn't hurt.

When the time comes when I am in pain and/or have to limp, I will go for the surgery. I have heard lots of good about the surgery. I am 50 years old and I have worked out for 32 years. I have worked out daily for at least ten years. I also have had ten children. So, I am very active. I guess it doens't matter how we develop the arthritis, it is how we deal with it.

My doctor was in shock when he looked at my X-rays, because I only went to see him for the limited outward movement I have had. I told him that I had no pain at all. He told me anyone elsse waould have been there to see him ten years ago, by the way my films looked.

I haven't modified any of my workouts at home - I still do plyometric jumping, weight training and step on an 8" bench. It has b helped me to keep moving so it doesn't get the pain. I go back to see him in about 4 months.

Dave has some good advice. He is about 46 or so - and his hip replacement was a real good thing for him. For me, I can't see going in for a surgery until I do start experiencing any pain.

It is depressing to think about surgery, though. It is a major thing to have done. But if it helps with your pain and movement you will be happy in the long run.

Let me know how you are doing periodically.

Good luck,

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

I appreciate your feedback. You sound like a dynamic woman, do you live in Utah? They have tons of kids here too!:) I am so happy you are not living with the pain part--good for you!
My apologies to Cathe if this is not the correct forum to be posting. My initial question was really asking Cathe, which workouts would be best but still challenging for someone with a hip/joint problems.
Again, I appreciate the feedback. :)

Sincerely,

Tneah

tneah,

Actually, I live in Michigan. I forgot to mention that I have been doing kickboxing karate for 2 1/2 years - when I mentioned this to the doctor when I went on March 14, he did tell me that I ought to stop doing side kicks because of the impact of it all. I was just getting ready to test for my black belt in April.

So, I have learned to spar and do alot of others things in karate to make up for the side kicks. I tested for my black belt on April 21 and I passed with flying colors.

I guess I just took for granted that I didn't have the pain associated with arthritis because I have been so active. But it sounds to me like you have been very active yourself.

How is your left hip from the X-rays you have had? It seems to me that if you are having arthritis and bone spurs due to overuse and genetics your left hip would be the same. Don't you think?

I remember Dave mentioning that he has to get his other hip replaced soon,too.

You can PM me if you would like. That way we are not on the Ask Cathe sight.

Cheryl

tneah,

I've only been doing CTX Step video since the surgery. I skip the weight section as I have my own upper body work i do.

Cheryl mentioned about your left hip as well. You are probably suffering on both sides, just worse on your right. I intend to get my left one done within 5 to 10 yrs (before I'm 56 and retired)

We should move this off of the "ask Cathe" section

I have a blog on my hip tribulations, you can get it off of my profile.

dave

Hi Tneah,

Do you have access to a pool? Water aerobics is a great way to take the impact off of joints. Your local YMCA may have classes even that you can take.

I have right hip pain and I am under 40 too. When I'm hurting pretty bad or can't seem to stand doing my step or sometimes even sitting hurts, I go to see my chiropractor who specializes in the activator method (you can go to activator.com to see if there is a dr in your area http://activator.com/qualified_doctors.asp )Usually it means that my hip is out of place and/or my muscles are in spasm. AFter a few days of rest, I'm ready to go and I feel much better! Also, if your sacrum is out (the lower back) that will also lead to hip pain as well.

As a nurse, you are wise to be cautious as to how fast you enter surgery. Please take your time and consider alternative approaches. Surgery should be seen as a last resort.

Good luck,
Gina

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.