Best Step Height

MissN

Dear Cathe,
Although I'm not new to your videos (Love them - best workouts I have ever done), I am just getting back into working out after a two year hiatus as a result of an injury, school, and just plain laziness. However, now that I'm back, I'm finding it difficult to use an 8 inch step and was wondering is it better to use a 8 inch step versus a 6 inch step when trying to lose weight? Prior to my hiatus I used an 8 inch step, but I have noticed that in your more recent videos your crew is using a 6 inch step. I am trying to shed 30 pounds and I know that the workout is more challenging when using a higher step. Will I burn more calories (lose weight faster) if I stick to a 8 inch step?

Any input would be helpful.

Hi. I asked Cathe a similar question a few years ago and she said to use whatever step height you need so that your heartrate stays in the challenging zone. I asked because I am 5'8" and wondered if step height is related to leg length. She said 6" was appropriate for most people, 8" was ok if you weren't being challenged on 6" but that 10" had been determined to be unsafe and caused injuries a lot more often. She made it clear that leg length was not the determining factor but rather intensity. I find for example, that IMax on 6" just doesn't cut it during the "on the step" anaerobic parts, but I use it on days when I am feeling wimpy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.